70-291 Exam

NeutronNeutron Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
I took this exam last year and missed passing by 1 question.

I took a year off to work on my school work, but am ready to take this exam again. I did a server install for a small company as a consultant, so I'm feeling confident about passing this time.

Actually, I am feeling over-confident which is not good. I ran through the DNS stuff last night and unlike last year, it's making perfect sense to me.

I did well on RRAS and WSUS last year, but am brushing up on them again before my exam tomorrow.

Has the test changed from last year to this year?

Comments

• sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The exam shouldn't have changed much if at all. Just be sure to check out Microsoft's website to see what is covered on the exam and that will show you what you need to know for the exam. Good Luck!
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • JdotQJdotQ Member Posts: 230
    Neutron wrote:
    Actually, I am feeling over-confident which is not good. I ran through the DNS stuff last night and unlike last year, it's making perfect sense to me.

I'm in the same boat as you...last August I failed by one or two questions (scored a 679), and got distracted with finishing school, moving to another state, and starting a new job, and am finally getting around to restudy everything. And you're right, it's crazy how much of it makes absolute sense the second time around.

Best of luck with the exam, let us know how you did!
  • NeutronNeutron Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    How many questions are on 70-291?

What is Microsoft's grading scale? How much is each question worth?
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Neutron wrote:

~40-45

You need 700/1000 to pass. All questions are weighted. For example, if you have a question that presents you with 5 answers and asks you to choose 3, if you choose 2 of the correct ones but 1 incorrect one, you still get credit for 2. Other than that, Microsoft hasn't released any information on how they grade the exams.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • JdotQJdotQ Member Posts: 230
    royal wrote:
    For example, if you have a question that presents you with 5 answers and asks you to choose 3, if you choose 2 of the correct ones but 1 incorrect one, you still get credit for 2.

I was not aware that Microsoft used this grading technique. Thanks for pointing that out icon_thumright.gif
  • OlehOleh Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    royal wrote:
    Neutron wrote:

~40-45

46 icon_wink.gif
    Okay, I'm taking the exam today.

Now I'm not feeling so overly confident, lol.

Is there a certain percentage of questions/correct answers needed to pass, like 75% for example?

I know my weakest point is Subnetting. I feel strongly about RRAS and WSUS and about 70-80% confident on DNS.
  • SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    Neutron wrote:
    Okay, I'm taking the exam today.

Now I'm not feeling so overly confident, lol.

Is there a certain percentage of questions/correct answers needed to pass, like 75% for example?

I know my weakest point is Subnetting. I feel strongly about RRAS and WSUS and about 70-80% confident on DNS.

I only had 2 subnetting questions they were not complicated either you should be fine DNS is a big part though
    The only thing that will get me with DNS is stub-zones and also when to use conditional forwarding vs using secondary zones.
  • Yisrael48Yisrael48 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Neutron wrote:
    The only thing that will get me with DNS is stub-zones and also when to use conditional forwarding vs using secondary zones.

Well lets see if i learn well befor my testtaking next week.

Stub zones when there is a lot of changes with NS records, secondary zones voor redundancy
    and looking up names in other sites from your current site. Conditional forewarding if there is
    Unix inolved or for quick name resolution.

Well Einsteins tell me if i am hot or cold icon_redface.gif
    It's the thought that counts
  • SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    Yisrael48 wrote:
    Neutron wrote:

Well lets see if i learn well befor my testtaking next week.

Stub zones when there is a lot of changes with NS records, secondary zones voor redundancy
    and looking up names in other sites from your current site. Conditional forewarding if there is
    Unix inolved or for quick name resolution.

Well Einsteins tell me if i am hot or cold icon_redface.gif

yeah yuo have a pretty good grasp I'd as only thing I'd say is

stub when lots of changes - sound fine to me

secondary zones for redundancy AND so DNS will conrinue to work even if a link fials between sites

Conditional forwarding is good with UNIx,. when ever resolution is gong to be performed by and upstream DNS server and if you do not want to add an extra zone for what ever reason.

the suggestions above got me though the DNS questions
    Smallguy i am starting to like you icon_lol.gif
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    good luck neutron. Dont leave us hanging and let us know how it went!!!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
    My server admin coworker told me that stub zones are used for when you have say a child zone needing to resolve DNS.

For example: pri.microsoft.com is a child zone of microsoft.com

You would set up a stub zone for pri.microsoft.com to resolve just names in that zone.

Correct?
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Goodluck with the exam, I've been so busy I'm stucked with Subnets, hopefully I can start studying :)
    I failed it with a 487.

I HATE THIS DAMN TEST!!

I know I nailed all three simulations I had. I felt confident about a good 3/4 of the questions. I just don't get it.

I guess it's not meant for me to get MCSA.

I can pass any other certification, but when it comes to Microsoft exams I struggle.
    Neutron wrote:
    I failed it with a 487.

I HATE THIS DAMN TEST!!

I know I nailed all three simulations I had. I felt confident about a good 3/4 of the questions. I just don't get it.

I guess it's not meant for me to get MCSA.

I can pass any other certification, but when it comes to Microsoft exams I struggle.

HOLD IT HOLD IT HOLD IT JIMMY NEUTRON CHILL OUT BACK OFF BE QUIET!!!!!!!!

Now relax, i (WE if i may be so bold) are willing to help you pass the 3rd try. First i need some info!?!?!?!?

The aerea's how dit you perform on those so we know what your weak spots are,
    dit you use Evilrens etc did the examquestions match or where they totally different.

For me i am taking the exam upcomming monday i could better use my time preparing instead of helping you. So i hope you appreciate this.
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The poor guy is heart broken! I mean I would too specially if I studied hard, now all I can say is review the results and study your weak areas, if I may ask you might have posted it already what is your study material lists?