Question on Defaults and protocol/system design

Deadmaster200Deadmaster200 Member Posts: 145
Hey guys,

I am studying CVOICE and BCMSN right now and just watching the queing video from the Train Signal BCMSN and just remembered a question I have been meaning to ask.

And it is this. I am not just talking about queing specifically. But, what I want ask about is default values. For example, the default packets for priority queing is 20 for high, 40 for medium, etc. Why 20 packets? Why 40? How are these decisions made? How can we learn about this? If the defaults are all less than 100 and I assume for good reason, why is there such a huge range all the way to 32,767!!!???

This is just one example to illustrate what I am asking about, I am not necessarily just wanting an answer to this specific situation.

The reason why I curious about this is because it is easy to learn what to type to change these values, but it is completely something else to know the impact of those changes, and yet another thing to design a config by changing such values to achieve a specific solution.

But please realize I am asking a deep question. I have noticed sometimes that somebody asks a CCIE level question and gets CCNA replies. I am hoping Ed or Mike or some other guy deep into this stuff can help me out.

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    But please realize I am asking a deep question. I have noticed sometimes that somebody asks a CCIE level question and gets CCNA replies. I am hoping Ed or Mike or some other guy deep into this stuff can help me out.

If you want specific people to answer your question maybe you should PM them. People may not always give the answer you are looking for, but they are trying their best to help you out. That is what these forums are used for.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Deadmaster200Deadmaster200 Member Posts: 145
    Yes, thank you.

I know that and that is fine, but I just wanted to put a friendly disclaimer so as to not generate posts that have nothing to do with my question, like yours.