Fast Track

networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
OK, I passed my pre-assesment exam with an 82% after about two days study. This JUNOS stuff is weird. I have worked with Cisco and Foundry, but nothing like Juniper routers. It resembles a Redcom PBX to me which helps a little. Waiting on my exam voucher. I will probably study for about another week or two before I take the exam. I'll keep the post up to date with my progress.
An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.

Comments

• rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    for me for the very first time - it was more like nortel CLI.

the different between junos and lets say ios --> real-time and profiles processing.
    this can benefit for some who dont want to get messy after a mis-config,
    but can be time-consuming for cisco folk icon_wink.gif
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i may look more into it.. i viewed 1/2 the junos as a second language not bad.. i must admit i have seen something like it somewhere else icon_scratch.gif
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I got my voucher today. Been studying the student guide when I get tired of my CCNP stuff. I also got a hold of a Juniper router to mess with for a day. I'll probably take the exam later this week.
    while i'm counting down to the expiration of that free exam...
    was it in november?

good luck networker050184 icon_wink.gif
    The free offer ends in december, but the voucher is only good for 30 days. The material doesn't seem to difficult if you know your basic network stuff. The JUNOS is a bit wierd at first though. Thanks I'll probably take it thursday, I haven't sceduled yet though.
    Man I just heard my local testing center isn't doing prometric anymore. I don't think I am going to be able to get to another center before this voucher expires. If not at least I will take the knowledge away from this even if not a cert.
    ouch... thats too bad,
    dont you have other prometric center near-by?
    Not that I have a chance to get to right now. Its ok though, maybe I'll take it another time.
  • NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Does anyone know how difficult the Juniper exam(associate) is compared to CCNA? Any juniper certified people out there that can comment?

It seems if you have the base network knowledge of associate level concepts then it's just a matter of becoming familier with Juniper's CLI.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
    hi Netstudent,

i'm not going to make you feel easy,
    but AFAIK - the JNCIA really based on the product itself. like the M, J, E etc.
    for the most networking concept part - any foundation you had have from any cisco exam is OK,
    and - just like you said, what you need is to be familiar with the CLI & the physical product knowledge.

BTW - have you try that JNCIA-ER thing?
    you should have a picture from there.

cheers.
  • oomingooming Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey ya'll.

The JNCIA is, I would say, alot easier than the CCNA. The CCNA incorporates alot of different aspects of networking. You would have to know things that arent specifically Cisco (OSI. TCP/IP, VLANS, Switching). For Juniper test, its pretty much how Juniper would syntax something out. Thats pretty much what they are testing you on with the Juniper tests.
    CCNA,CCDA,JNCIA-ER,Sec+,Net+
    Hey guys I have another Question in regards to the instructor led courses for JNCIA-ER. In the Juniper as a 2nd Language and the OJRE 3 day course, can I take that at my own pace? Are there like scheduled days and times for the e-class?

I'm just wanting to know how flexible the classes are for someone with a very busy schedule.

I have read through most of the articles on the fast-track deal, but couldn;t find a definate answer on the courses.

Thanks
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good question. I was wondering that myself......
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

You can take the JUNOS second language anytime you want. You don't get any free instructor led trainging though. You can download the pdf from the course at the Juniper website.
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes but can yiou take the instructor led course at your own pace or is it done only at set times and must be completed as a whole in one time period?
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

You would have to sign up and pay for the instructor led course, which I didn't do so I don't know the details. If you downlod the pdf you can use it when ever you want which I would suggest rather than paying for the instructor led course.
    Oh I thought that OJRE was actually instructer led for the fasttrack program. You can pay for an instructor led OJRE, but it isn't included in the free package. Looking further into it I think all we get from the OJRE aspect of the prgram is just the Student guide; lab guide and lab diagrams.

So this whole juniper thing is just a bunch of free PDF'S and a free voucher? Hmm, thats not going to do me much good because I don't work with juniper and I don't plan on buying any of it. Ya i would like to have the cert but I want to actually get some hands on with Juniper at the same time. I would not want to be in an interview claiming to be JNCIA certified but never have actually configured any juniper gear. Maybe I'll consider some Juniper rack time from those sites that seraphus posted in the other thread.
  • JohnDouglasJohnDouglas Member Posts: 186
    Wonder if Juniper will extend this offer into next year. Just about to get started on it now I've got my CCNA done.
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    Wonder if Juniper will extend this offer into next year. Just about to get started on it now I've got my CCNA done.

Anythings possible, but from what I hear at work, I work at the JTAC in Utah, they are not going to, but with that said, since you just got your CCNA, congratz there, you should be able to get it with a minimal amount of study.

I was studying to take the CCNA this month but I ended up getting on the router team here at work so I've kinda tossed my CCNA studying out the window and I am studying Juniper Router stuff instead. I've gone through the Fast Track stuff and it seems fairily simply mainly because of the routing information that studying for the CCNA has given me. I know people who have, or are close to, their CCNA and have studied and got the JNCIA-ER through the Fast Track program in about a week.

So my suggestion is to do the Fast Track before the end of the year and it should be fairly easy since you have already have the knowledge of CCNA under you belt.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • JohnDouglasJohnDouglas Member Posts: 186
    Aldur wrote:

Anythings possible, but from what I hear at work, I work at the JTAC in Utah, they are not going to, but with that said, since you just got your CCNA, congratz there, you should be able to get it with a minimal amount of study.

I was studying to take the CCNA this month but I ended up getting on the router team here at work so I've kinda tossed my CCNA studying out the window and I am studying Juniper Router stuff instead. I've gone through the Fast Track stuff and it seems fairily simply mainly because of the routing information that studying for the CCNA has given me. I know people who have, or are close to, their CCNA and have studied and got the JNCIA-ER through the Fast Track program in about a week.

So my suggestion is to do the Fast Track before the end of the year and it should be fairly easy since you have already have the knowledge of CCNA under you belt.

Thanks for the info Aldur. I sat through some of the Junos as a second language yesterday. I better get cracking then if the offer isn't being extended. Although maybe I could persuade work to cough up the money for the exam.

I'll be back with more questions no doubt.