A+ Network+ certified, want to know what next?

a+crama+cram Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Everyone,

I got my network+ yesterday and A+ 6 months back.
I don't have a college degree, so want to do some certifications which may count for community college (Associate Degree) and also for some future job.
I have no prior experience in IT industry. I would really appreciate if you guys can guide me some path to land a job to pay my bills.
Thanks in advance.
Looking forward to hear from you guys!!!
Of course I can do it!...........
The question is,
do I want to?!?........

Comments

• royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I can't stress this enough, GO GET YOUR DEGREE!!!!!!!!!!! Anyways, if you most absolutely are going to do certs next, if you are going into the security route, do the Security+. If you are going to do the Microsoft stuff, do the 70-620 (I'd say 70-270 if you are currently supporting a Windows XP Infrastructure. If you are going into Cisco stuff, I'd do the CCNA. Security+ isn't a bad thing to do even if you aren't going to be focusing in Security. It really helps you obtain a security foundtation which will definitely help you be more security conscientious when studying Microsoft and/or Cisco technologies.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    What kind of career do you want? Like royal said follow that path. You need to try to get an entry level job and see what interests you, then go from there! You don't need a MSCE or other high level cert to get a job. Start low and work your way up with maybe a MCP or the CCENT.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What do you like in technology? What interests you? What are you good at? Most importantly, WHY are you looking to get into "IT"?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • a+crama+cram Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone for ur advise.
    The thing is that I can't go to college and work because of my visa and financial status.
    I was thinking of doing Linux+ but as per ur advice I should better go for Security+ first and then CCNA. Im interested in networking so this path should be good for me.

Thanks again you guys..
    Of course I can do it!...........
    The question is,
    do I want to?!?........
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I'd say go to school and work any job, but then your reply here:
    Thanks everyone for ur advise.
    The thing is that I can't go to college and work because of my visa and financial status.
    I was thinking of doing Linux+ but as per ur advice I should better go for Security+ first and then CCNA. Im interested in networking so this path should be good for me.

Thanks again you guys..

I guess I'm wondering why you are in the US if you cannot work and go to school? An education will be worth far more then some certifications, but it's truly your decision. Shouldn't make much difference which you obtain first (Sec+ or Linux+) if you are planning on both, get them both.

What is your long-term plan? What sort of work do you want to do? And will you be staying in the US or returning home to complete your goal? What sort of systems do you currently work with?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?