Options

AD-I DNS and Notify

Yisrael48Yisrael48 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello just a simple question,

Do you use the Notify funcionality when you use AD-I with DNS for replication?
It's the thought that counts

Comments

• Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nope, AD Replication takes care of it. When a DC modifies something, it notifies its partner that a change was made. When the time comes for replication to occur, the replication partner will know that a change has been made and will initiate a replication pull from its partner. This replication will occur every 15 seconds on a freshly installed 2k3 to 2k3 system. It occurs every 5 minutes on a 2k system. It occurs every 5 minutes on a 2k3 system that was upgraded from 2k. Only want to get it changed to 15 seconds on an upgraded system is to upgrade all DCs to 2k3 and bump the Forest Functional Level to 2003.

There's also a second replication that happens that does a full replication check every so often. This second replication (fail-safe replication I like to call it) is configured in AD Sites and Services. It's the one where you can choose once an hour, twice an hour, etc.... This fail-safe replication checks the entire AD database on its replication partner to ensure all data is consistent.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    Yisrael48Yisrael48 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Royal thank you very much for making the matter clear,
    i have the 70-291 exam on tuesday and want to sort things
    out wich are not clear to me.
    It's the thought that counts