Wi3rd!

Uranium-235Uranium-235 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
2 things I have never seen or could imagine having existed till yesterday:

A motherboard with an AMD Duron Soldered into the board. No socket. Heatsink is screwed into the board with these 2 wierd standoff-ish looking things. I looked the board up on the net and it does have a socket. Who would do this to this poor board! (if you want a pic, I can post it). I can only guess it was purchased right from PC CHIPS (urg) from an OEM and they took the socket out (Or had it shipped with out on) there and soldered on the Duron.

A motherboard with a socket 370 socket, and a slot 1 slot. Normally this woulden't seem wierd, i've seen boards that have hybrided parts (K7S5A comes to mind) before. But the board is Designed as AT. I've never seen a P3 era board (and it is, also supports P2 and celeron from eather socket), hybrid CPU, and is AT to boot.

tell me what wierd stuff you've ran across in your many years of IT?

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    2 things I have never seen or could imagine having existed till yesterday:

A motherboard with an AMD Duron Soldered into the board. No socket. Heatsink is screwed into the board with these 2 wierd standoff-ish looking things. I looked the board up on the net and it does have a socket. Who would do this to this poor board! (if you want a pic, I can post it). I can only guess it was purchased right from PC CHIPS (urg) from an OEM and they took the socket out (Or had it shipped with out on) there and soldered on the Duron.

A motherboard with a socket 370 socket, and a slot 1 slot. Normally this woulden't seem wierd, i've seen boards that have hybrided parts (K7S5A comes to mind) before. But the board is Designed as AT. I've never seen a P3 era board (and it is, also supports P2 and celeron from eather socket), hybrid CPU, and is AT to boot.

tell me what wierd stuff you've ran across in your many years of IT?

So these things are weird because this is the first you've seen them? I suppose what's surprising to me is your comment then the statement
    "I've never seen a PIII era board"
    . You make PIII sound like ancient history. :P

Sorry, I wouldn't call what you describe as weird.

Though for strange items....I'd say things I"ve found in chassis....various critters, bugs, snake skin, mouse nest, food products, etc... FWIW
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Uranium-235Uranium-235 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    read the whole statement, minus the "( )"

I've never seen a P3 era board, hybrid CPU, and is AT to boot. What I mean is I've never seen the combination of the 3. PIII was way after ATX, this is a P3 board designed as AT, Hybrid CPU sockets and power connectors (though iv'e seen hybrid power connectors before)

I have quite a number of P3 boards, hell one's my router :P

I actually just replaced it out for that soldered Duron 1ghz

back in high school during my pc tech class, I did run into a system that would not vga init. Opened it up and there was a huge dead cockroach lying on it's back in the middle of the board. Took it out and it booted up just fine. Showed the (female) tech teacher and had to gross her out first!

and one time on a system I picked up off the side of the street, I opened up the power supply to dust it out, and there was what I thought was a leaf inside it, but it was a dead baby lizard shriveled up.
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    We had a rat short out our 2.1 MvA, looked like the cat that ate the christmas lites in Christmas Vacation, just an outline of a rat on the inside of the chassis. Took weeks for the smell to subside though. icon_sad.gif
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    hmmm weird things I have seen lately that I did not know existed

I work at a school were everything is donated btw

We have a shelf of 5 disk cd changer CD-ROMs, standard size still

PCI card that displays post errors on a little screen right on the card

24 port KVM switch

I also saw RD RAM for the first time last week. I couldn't figure out what the blank stick was for lol

ooo I also opened up my first laptop HDD. Its the same but mini!
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    anyone else notice that the title of the thread is spelled wrong? :P
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    anyone else notice that the title of the thread is spelled wrong? :P

Thats wierd! icon_cyclops_ani.gif
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2