CCNP

ilcram19ilcram19 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 206
what up guys?...well have a question for all CCNPs, i just got hired for a IT company that support other companie's microsoft and cisco networks, now they want me to get CCNP as soon as posible and they saw on my resume that it only took me 3 months to get ccna...and they want me to get CCNP in 3 months...right now im studieng for the 70-291 and im hoping to take it sep-10...after that im planning to start ccnp if i dedicated my self would i be able to get ccnp in 3 months or 4 at the most?
If you stop getting better, you cease being good

Comments

• NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well just remember CCNP requires either 4 individual test, or 1 composite exam and 2 individual.

The odds of passing either of those track options in 3 months is very unlikely. The CCNP as a whole gets pretty deep in a wide range of subjects. You might be able to knock 2 or 3 of them out in 3 months if you had A LOT of previous experience. But I think even a veteran in the field would have to brush up a little bit on some things before attempting the CCNP tests.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • CessationCessation Member Posts: 326
    Im no CCNP (or even CCNA just yet) but 3 months for CCNP sounds a bit extreme.
    A+, MCP(270,290), CCNA 2008.
    Working back on my CCNA and then possibly CCNP.
  • Aquabat [banned]Aquabat [banned] Inactive Imported Users Posts: 299
    tell them to pay for a bootcamp
    i herd u leik mudkips lol
  • ilcram19ilcram19 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 206
    bootcamp is a good idea, but i always like to study on my own, yeap and u maight be rite i probably just gonna pass 2 at the most in 3 months, my plan was to get certified by the end of december i cant say i cant because is something that i need to get done as soon as posible im juts gonna try to get it the fastest i can + knowing that after that i probably get the bug bucks it keeps me motivated u know
  • LOkrasaLOkrasa Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah I am no genius but CCNP in 3 months doesnt sound doable. I guess the other question is would you really want to do the CCNP in 3 months...
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ilcram19 wrote:
    if i dedicated my self would i be able to get ccnp in 3 months or 4 at the most?
    You'd have to live, sleep, breath, and eat CCNP.... but it could be done in 4 months. Getting some work time to study and access to a lab equipment (with remote access for those late night study sessions) would help.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    hmm.. it sounds as if they want you to have the paper but not the true skills required
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    keenon wrote:
    hmm.. it sounds as if they want you to have the paper but not the true skills required

Sounds like my company... They spent 7000 dollars for an employee to go to MCSE boot camp and gave him a raise and a job title change. He spent 2 weeks at bootcamp getting his MCSE.

He even asked for classes and they said no. LoL
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
    mikej412 wrote:
    ilcram19 wrote:
    if i dedicated my self would i be able to get ccnp in 3 months or 4 at the most?
    You'd have to live, sleep, breath, and eat CCNP.... but it could be done in 4 months. Getting some work time to study and access to a lab equipment (with remote access for those late night study sessions) would help.

Wouldn't that be nice. If none of us had jobs, school, kids, or significant others for about 4 months. Just study CCNP all day everyday and into the night. I could definately live with that. Fall asleep with your head in BCMSN and wake up with your head in BSCI. Oh wait don't slobber on the pages though.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    keenon wrote:

keenon,

I feel that the Cisco exams will verify if you have the true skills required or not.
    keenon,

I feel that the Cisco exams will verify if you have the true skills required or not

yeap i feel the same way, no anybody get CCNP just cuz they study i know wut im getting in to, i wanted to know if any of you guys did it in 3 months or so, and i know having work, family, school and certs it hasnt been easy, but to me it sounds more like an xcuse.
    i probably cant get it in 3 months probably not even 4, but i just go another inverview with another companie and it seem that they are offering me more $$ and looks more towards MCSE, but i still dont know i enjoy both areas... this is gonna be a hard decicion
  • optimusoptimus Member Posts: 183
    Wow, 3 months. Tell your employer to wake up and get a clue. The ignorance of upper management never ceases to amaze me.

I am planning 24 months myself. icon_eek.gif
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i've only known 1 person to have gotten an NP from a NA in about 6-8 months..even then he had all the time and the world and a solid study group with loads of experience to learn from icon_wink.gif
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I think it really depends on experience. I did the NA studying on and off for about a month. I am doing the NP now and plan on spending about a month to a month and a half per exam. If you are new to the technologies I don't think this would be possible, but if you have worked with the technologies daily for years it can be done. Right now I am doing the BCMSN and the only technologies that I don't have prior experience with is the wirless material which I will spend the most time on. I have almost six years experience with Cisco technologies, and not a rookie though, so I think it just depends on your experience.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I got my ccnp in 7 months but of course computers are my hobby and profession. Its amazing what the human brain can do when you "want" somthing really bad.

It can be done in 4 probably but g'luck, 1 month per exam, you better read the book in 3 weeks and study every example in the book not to mention other scenarios not included in the books (as in book, i mean cisco press)

Also bootcamps are not for everyone. Keep in mind when going into a bootcamp you have to really have the ability to understand topics quickly, where they show you once or twice and they move on. you dont spend 5 days on 1 topic like in a classroom, you spend about 20 minutes and then move on.

Of course i love optimus's approach to the situation
    Wow, 3 months. Tell your employer to wake up and get a clue. The ignorance of upper management never ceases to amaze me.

I am planning 24 months myself.

The only way your going to them in 3-4 months is if you dont have a life, kids, job, significant other to annoy you every 20 minutes during study. On the other hand if you have a job working with Cisco this may help ;)
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
    well said Mr. horhay

I am shooting for 16-20 months myself. I figure around 4 months per exam should be adequate.
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wow, 3 months for CCNP by self-study! That boss must be smoking some of that stuff from way down south! :)icon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

CCNP in 3 months? SURE!

After that you can study for CCIE for a weekend. Maybe you can do MCSE before lunch!
    that doesnt mean im not gonna try and just becuase i cant doesnt mean that someone else cant,
    i been only working for cert for about a year my everage for test is a month and a week of study, i mean im not just gonna sit there an let this oportunity pass by just cuz someone else that couldnt did im not like dat i like challenge so im staring either ccnp or finishing MSCE it all depends who pays the most for me icon_lol.gif
    Go for it but stock up on plenty of coffee! :)
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

Hi if you can ask your employer to buy the required hardwares for CCNP then do it. Most of us takes time to study due to hardware availability of course money is required in this certifications.
    For sure if you have that tools in front of you then it is easy for you. RIGHT
    im staring either ccnp or finishing MSCE it all depends who pays the most for me looks better[/quote]

it looks like is gonna e MCSE in 3 months i just recive the offer and it pay more and better benefits!!!! :D [/quote]
  • geezergeezer Member Posts: 136
    3 Months per exam perhaps but in the real world........

Sounds like your employer wants these certifications to add to their resume of what they can offer clients - e.g. We have 2 MCSE's, 2 CCNP's etc

Short sited employer who doesn't know what is required - perhaps a Degree can be done in 3 months after that? icon_wink.gif
    I used to be undecided but now I'm not so sure.

There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't!
  • tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    ilcram19 wrote:
    im staring either ccnp or finishing MSCE it all depends who pays the most for me looks better

it looks like is gonna e MCSE in 3 months i just recive the offer and it pay more and better benefits!!!! :D

ilcram19,

Is it possible that your company is a Cisco Partner with the Advanced Routing & Switching specialization pending recertification approximately December 2007?
    Well since you already have MCSA then MCSE in 3 months is a more reasonable expectation if you really work hard. CCNP from A to Z in 3 months by self-study would be quite an accomplishment! :)

I think getting your mcse from an mcsa is very doable... 3 exams in 3 months is not that crazy for MS certs.

GL in your new job!
    3 Months per exam perhaps but in the real world........

well my average is a month peer test thats wut i been doing since last agoust 06 and probably a month is a long time i seen post of people that be doing test in 2 weeks and some of them got MCSE in 4 weeks u need to get to the real world or get out of it cuz u gonna stay behind with 3 months peer test icon_wink.gif ...and actually the company is not an IT solution is more on the comercial side, im Taking the Network Administrator position.
  • BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    u need to get to the real world or get out of it cuz u gonna stay behind with 3 months peer test

Certifications should be about quality, not quantity. Seems like you're tackling certifications as if you're in a race. I've been working on my current cert for the past few months, and I don't feel as if I'm "falling behind". Rather, I feel I am really learning the material and taking my time to understand the technology completely.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
    Bravo BeaverC32, I fully agree! icon_wink.gif

i bet the only reason they want you to get ccnp is so they become a premier partner and get a cheaper discount when they sell the $hit
    i herd u leik mudkips lol