Thoughts on SP vs RS

dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
I know all the differences between the tracks, that's not what I am thinking about. I know of 3 people who have recently passed the SP lab but no one who has hit the RS lab (I know of 5 people who have taken it, myself included). Seems to show a trend that SP is "easier", maybe not in terms of the technology, but in the lab itself. I don't want to believe one track is easier than another, but perhaps more straightforward when it comes to the lab exam. I am at a loss when I simply compare the numbers 3/3 for SP and 0/5 for RS. The people I know that have passed SP I know well. I do not see them and any better or worse than myself from the conversations I have with them, and during the times we have gotten together to study.

I guess I am looking for input from somone who has taken both RS and SP, or can possibly shed some light on the subject. The people I know that did SP have only done SP so it's hard for them to compare the two.
The only easy day was yesterday!

Comments

• GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    That is an interesting point you bring up. Also, if you look at the number of people doing each, I dont have it handy, but it is something like 10:1, R/S certified people vs Sec. R/S seems to be the basis for most people, and I always kind of assumed it was probably hardest.

Do you think that maybe more topics are covered in R/S? Or maybe because it has been around the longest they have put more time into making it harder?
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    From what I've seen in the practice labs (and technology labs) the R&S Lab tests your knowledge of the R&S topics by asking you do things that could get you fired if you implemented them that way in real life. It isn't a "best practices" lab.

The SP configurations are more complicated but seem more "real life" -- either the "old way," "current way," or the "new way."
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Very interesting observations. Is it at all possible that because fewer people go for SP versus R&S that perhaps they don't hammer you as much?

I mean they might not want too many R&S first time passes to look as though the cert was getting easier.

Who knows, just brainstorming here.... icon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

• rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ITdude wrote:
    Very interesting observations. Is it at all possible that because fewer people go for SP versus R&S that perhaps they don't hammer you as much?

I mean they might not want too many R&S first time passes to look as though the cert was getting easier.

Who knows, just brainstorming here.... icon_wink.gif

ya - for me SP far way too expensive to get,
    beginning from CCNP - how much will i spend for it (the pix etc..) - just cant afford that,
    and a lot of non cisco equipment when it comes to security - so not much time to play with ciscos,
    so probably that is why people prefer to RS - "low cost" ? not for the exam thou :)

only my opinion.

cheers...
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.