Options

Shadow copy paticulars

itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey guys.

We have 2003 Stnd Edition and I have enable Shadow copy on our D: (data) drive
and there are shares on this D drive.

Our shadow copy is making copies.

I don't understand shadow copy entirely. What I mean is this.

From playing with it a bit. I see that it only copies files that have changed
and not all files. We had an accounting guy accidently delete a file.
I went to see if the previous version was there and nothing or I had to
restore the entire folder which rewrites all that is currently in the folder?
I am afraid to restore the folder to a previous version for fear it will either
replace with the old or append? which is it?

when i make shadow copies i see in the properties on some it keeps up with
the amount of version wheras with some folders it stays at one shadow copy
why is this? shouldnt the number of shadow copies (list on shadow tab on D: drive)
be the same as the copies in each properties using the twclient??

hope i am clear?

oh yeah what does revert to mean? does that mean all previous editions will revert to this date
or all files on the d: drive will revert back to an old copy? or all shadow copie version
displayed in the previous tab on the client will show that shadow copy? in other words
will it replace the original files or only what is displayed on the previous tab shown to clients???
origianls or displayed previous??

Robert
thanks for you help icon_eek.gif

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    "When you restore a file the shadow copy will be deleted, if you do not want to have the shadow copy deleted and the original file not overwritten, use the Copy button to restore the file instead."
    icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/technotes/70290/shadowcopies.shtml icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    itdaddy wrote:
    From playing with it a bit. I see that it only copies files that have changed
    and not all files. We had an accounting guy accidently delete a file.
    I went to see if the previous version was there and nothing or I had to
    restore the entire folder which rewrites all that is currently in the folder?
    I am afraid to restore the folder to a previous version for fear it will either
    replace with the old or append? which is it?

In this case you can select the previous version of the folder, but don't restore the folder. Select "View" instead and you can see the files inside it. Then simply copy the file you want and paste it on the server or your desktop or wherever.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    hey guys/dudes/gurus

thanks for the good references. and tips...you guy are great
    what a great forum this is! thank you for all your hard work and time

i know for a fact us IT peeps are not paid for what we are worth

we like doctors have to constantly maintain our knowledge and skills
    but I guess not even Dr's have to do that.

Robert icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    phthien16phthien16 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    someone tell me if this is normal, i can ONLY see "Previous Version" tab from a DIFFERENT computer. for example, i set shadow copy on my window 2003 server computer, when i right click on a share folder located on my 2003 server computer to do properties, i do not see previous version tab (i see, general, sharing, security, web sharing, customize tab). But when i do properties of the same share folder on the XP computer which is a member of the domain, i can see the previous version tab. WHY? WHY? WHY?
    lalala
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    phthien16 wrote:
    someone tell me if this is normal, i can ONLY see "Previous Version" tab from a DIFFERENT computer. for example, i set shadow copy on my window 2003 server computer, when i right click on a share folder located on my 2003 server computer to do properties, i do not see previous version tab (i see, general, sharing, security, web sharing, customize tab). But when i do properties of the same share folder on the XP computer which is a member of the domain, i can see the previous version tab. WHY? WHY? WHY?

This is normal. If you are on the server itself, you are not accessing it through the share but the local path. Try this from the server itself:

START>RUN>\\servername\sharename

So if you are logged into a server named FILESERVER and there is a share called FILES:

Start>Run>\\FILESERVER\FILES.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    phthien16phthien16 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    cool! it works, awesome! thanks a lot. A lesson learned, it has to be in universal naming convention (UNC)
    lalala