Microsoft Windows 2003 Server Network Simulator: Sybex

Hi people. I need to know if any one has used Sybex's Microsoft Windows 2003 Server Network Simulator for Lab Practice. Is it an efficient method of hands-on in a Home Pc ? else what are the Alternatives ? I am still struggling to configure the MS Virtual Pc 2007.

Waiting for your suggestions. icon_idea.gif
MCITP: EA 2008| VCP4| MCSE 2003 | CCNA | MCSA 2003: Security | MCDST | Security+ | ITILV3

Comments

• ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I looked at it for a few minutes and then put the CD away. Unless I missed something, I don't think it should be called a simulator. It seemed to just be some videos of certain tasks. I will look at it again later.

Virtual PC or VMWare are really good for practice. What problems are you having?
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Nishesh.PrasadNishesh.Prasad Member Posts: 185
    ohh .... well ! I have tried to Start with the Virtual Pc .... but am completely blank as to how you need to go on. I wanna setup an environment which can help me to practice for the 70-290 exams. Does a standalone PC suffice for what we need to do to configure a Virtual PC or do we need NICs n stuff. Frankly m not clear myself !

any help ?
    MCITP: EA 2008| VCP4| MCSE 2003 | CCNA | MCSA 2003: Security | MCDST | Security+ | ITILV3
  • tonydotigrtonydotigr Member Posts: 129
    1 powerful CPU, at least 1GB of RAM, and 1 NIC = 1 PC

I would strongly encourage you to read/watch the info here before continuing:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/default.mspx

http://www.blogcastrepository.com/blogcasts/folders/windows_server/entry1154.aspx
  • Nishesh.PrasadNishesh.Prasad Member Posts: 185
    Hey that was a cool video Tony ..... the vid however was about installing MS 2003 Server within Virtual Pc. So i have an idea now onto how OSs are to be installed within Virtual PC. My next question is, can we install a DC, like create a forest with a Few clients and couple of Dc's within Virtual PC itself or do we need MS Virtual Server to accomplish this. If we can using the virtual pc, how do i do it ? my main objective is to Test out scenarios wherein i hav an AD environment to query objects and stuff, within a DC. Any tips or notes would Help. icon_idea.gificon_idea.gif

Thanks.
  • druid318druid318 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Once you install the virtual machine program you can creat seperate "machines". On those you can install full or evaluation versions of your operating systems. The OS that you install won't even know that it is on a virtual pc. It will be fully funtional. I even have linux installed on one to get familiar with it. :)

I have only 512 ram and I can run 2 at a time. They run very slow though so the more ram you can give them the better.