CompTIA i-Net+ Certification Will Retire December 31, 2007

Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
http://certification.comptia.org/get_news.aspx?prid=1256

Well, So much for me studying for this one..... I had just gotten a book for 50 cents last week and thought that I might take this exam just for fun....

Maybe I still will, I do get reimbursement from work, and it does in a way deal directly with my job as one of my many roles here is a webmaster role.

Comments

• sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Interesting, I kinda wanted to take this exam for fun in the future. I wonder if it would even be worth taking now since they are retiring the exam. icon_scratch.gif
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    According to CompTIA, the certification will remain valid, I'm assuming, like all other CompTIA certifications, this one will be for life as well.
  • StoticStotic Member Posts: 248
    I was going to take this as well for the hell of it. I heard they were going to revise it, but now that its retiring, its hard to justify $225 for an exam that no one will know exists in a few years (or even now for that matter).
  • cgrimaldocgrimaldo Member Posts: 439 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That's interesting. I was going to take it as well. It does make sense though. I guess I won't have that cert on my belt!
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Thanks for posting the link Megadeth!

If you have plans to take the exam....go ahead and take it. I'll guess they are retiring because even by their press release they only 20,000 people who have the certification. No very many.

There are other certs that you may find to be more interesting like (CIW)...otherwise, you have 6 months left to add one additional 'vendor-neutral' cert.

iNET+ has received bad press from candidates because it's very similar to NET+ and really not that distinct in the marketplace.

If you weren't taking it...then don't. If you've already prepared...go ahead and knock it out.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Thanks for the info, I bought the books to study for it last year (before the Vista beta exams came out), but it just got pushed back. With this news, I don't think I have the time (or now the inclination) to study for something that's going to be discontinued in a few short months :)

-Ken
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    . . . you have the inclination.

The big one is that if you're applying to/attending college, many schools will accept the iNet+ for credit if it doesn't overlap other coursework. A nice, easy 3 credits.

A smaller benefit is that there's some other lesser-known Internet-related cert that you can roll the iNet into for $50. Maybe someone else remembers. . .

I wish I'd done this one back when CIW was accepting it toward their basic Web certs. That would have been way cool.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    petedude wrote:
    A smaller benefit is that there's some other lesser-known Internet-related cert that you can roll the iNet into for $50. Maybe someone else remembers. .

I think you are refering to the CWS from the ETA. I rolled my A+/Net+ to CST and CNST and have found no benefit to it but maybe that is just me.

http://www.studyexam4less.com/eta.asp
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • johnnyg5646johnnyg5646 Member Posts: 173
    I'm disapointed this one is going away. I was hoping it would get a better rep after they revised the test. It also kind of sucks to have spent time and money on a test that is now invalid. Oh well. icon_sad.gif
    BS - Computer Science
    MS - Computer Information Systems