Active Sync not working

billybob01billybob01 Member Posts: 504
Users are unable to use active sync on their mobiles. I have setup OWA which is working fine with no problems, i followed the article "Publishing OWA Sites using ISA Firewall Web Publishing Rules (2004) OWA is also using Forms Based Authentication. My problem is that the users where able to sync before but now for some reason they cant. I checked the Exchange Server and within IIS and the settings seem to be correct, see below:
OMA: Authentication and Access Control = Basic Authentication.
Default Domain = \
Secure Communications = SSL has not been ticked and Ignore client certificates has been ticked.
Exchange Directory:
Authentication and Access Control = Basic Authentication and Integrated Authentication.
Secure Communications
SSL has not been ticked and Ignore client certificates has been ticked.

The error the user receives on their mobile is:
Support Code:0x85010001

Anyone have any suggestions. I have read some workarounds but feel that because AS worked before i should not have to do these.

Comments

• blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't understand what has changed, you said ActiveSync worked before. Is it just that you installed OWA on your Exchange server and published it on your ISA? Has anything else changed (replaced/rebuilt server, certificate changes, service packs/hot fixes applied, etc?)

What is the rest of your error message? There ought to be a sentence or two description of the error to go with the support code.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • billybob01billybob01 Member Posts: 504
    We had a consultant come in to install ISA as i was away on holiday and we needed it up and running. But we realised he had installed it on the C:\ and not the E:\ as there was plenty of room for. Then the C:\ filled up so we saved the firewall and policy configs, reinstalled it on E:\ and restored the relevent configs. All works fine and OWA is working except Active Sync!! We have SP 3 installed, and i have uninstalled any updates that i applied since the move from C:\ to E:\. But still no joy. I have tested OMA by using the http://mail.Servername.com/oma but all i receive is an error 11001 Host not found and when i try https://mail.Servername/oma i receive an error 502 proxy error, Host not found!!

I have trid nslookup and both IP and Address has resolved successfully, so could it be permissions on the Exchange Directories? I dont know what they should be.

Any Ideas?
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Are these windows mobile devices or blackberry devices?

Did you say you have checked the permissions on the OWA > Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync directory within IIS?

What version of ActiveSync are you using?
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What kind of ssl cert are you using? I reinstalled an exchange server recently and used the existing SSL cert for OWA and Windows Mobile that we had purchased from Verisign. Should have been seemless. But all of the Windows phones were getting an error. The problem was that the intermediate CA certificate for Verisign that was on the Windows 2003 server running Exchange was expired. The one in the Local Computer store, not the one in the chain that is attached to the SSL cert.

http://www.kbalertz.com/927465/Error.message.synchronize.Windows.device.using.Exchange.ActiveSync.Exchange.aspx
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • billybob01billybob01 Member Posts: 504
    Sie wrote:
    Are these windows mobile devices or blackberry devices?

Did you say you have checked the permissions on the OWA > Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync directory within IIS?

What version of ActiveSync are you using?

These are mobile phones using Windows mobile 5 and active sync 4.1 ( i think) i cannot find where to find the version on the users phone)

As for permissions on the AS directory, what should they be? I have inherited this setup on Exchange so i am a tad lost as for the setup should be. I have followed some Microsoft examples but cannot find anything relating to the permissions.