Options

Jury Duty

KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
Anyone familiar with this? I got a letter today saying I was randomly selected. What do they have you do...and is this something that you can get paid for doing?

KG
Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680

Comments

• Options
    IllusionkingIllusionking Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    They pay but it's very minimal. Also different jobs have different policies on pay, I wouldn't receive pay if I were to report to a Jury summons.
    MCP/MCSA/MCSE
    Done: 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70,293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299,
    A.S. Electronic Engineering
    A.S. CIS
    A.S. Social/Behavioral Sciences
    Studying
    CCNA
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd only do it if I were being paid, but it sounds like(from your post) that they only pay if you have a job. I don't have a job...any money works for me right now. <_<

I got the letter from a relative, who receives my mail at an old address of mine. Noone knows where I live...so I don't want to respond if there's no benefit. icon_lol.gif

KG
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's not optional.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    KGhaleon wrote:
    I'd only do it if I were being paid, but it sounds like(from your post) that they only pay if you have a job. I don't have a job...any money works for me right now. <_<

I got the letter from a relative, who receives my mail at an old address of mine. Noone knows where I live...so I don't want to respond if there's no benefit. icon_lol.gif

KG

You can be fined if you don't respond. It's the law. However, in many cases all you have to do is call the number and you are not even summoned.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It is your duty as U.S citizen. I know each State have their own additional policy on Jury Duty.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    REID8968REID8968 Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Unless it's a State dependent issue, I know when I was called I received $17.50!!! WooHoo! They never asked if I was employed. I believe it's federally controlled, so if you're not working, you'll put a couple of bucks in your pocket, and get a real hoot people watching. Most people don't even get called. Whether you're called or not, you don't have to go again for 2 years! Keep the stub from the check. If there's an error in the system, and you get called again within 2 years, that is your ticket out.

U gotta go. It's a serious thing. Civic Duty!

Hey! I don't have a topic to study so check out my corny one liners. I'm bored without a cer to obsess over!
  • Options
    BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was called for Jury Duty while I was still a contract worker...which would NOT have reimbursed me for my time off for Jury Duty. So, I contacted them and requested I serve in 6 months (by that time, I would no longer be on contract, but working as a full time perm). In other words, I was able to delay when I served, plus I also got paid by my employer since I am now on salary.

I was actually picked to serve on the trial...at first I thought it would be terrible, but it was actually pretty interesting. Definitely a nice experience.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • Options
    IllusionkingIllusionking Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    KGhaleon wrote:

KG

Actually you get paid regardless of if you have a job or not. I was actually referring to your work paying you for the time off (sometimes they'll give you vacation pay).

It really isn't optional, they may not know your address, but they know your social security number. It'd suck if you got a warrant over just not feeling like showing up.

They pay milage too! like 10 cents or something rediculously small.

Go because it gives you the warm fuzzies for serving your country, and maybe some extra starbucks money.
    MCP/MCSA/MCSE
    Done: 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70,293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299,
    A.S. Electronic Engineering
    A.S. CIS
    A.S. Social/Behavioral Sciences
    Studying
    CCNA
  • Options
    REID8968REID8968 Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I work for a large Fortune 500 company. Their policy for jury duty is they pay us like normal, we just have to sign over the jury duty pay. They spend tons of money to find out what all the other big companies are doing. That being said, they tend to reflect "latest trends".

I also found the experience very interesting.
  • Options
    boyles23boyles23 Member Posts: 130
    You don't have a choice, you do it or they will get you eventually. They pay you a small pay everyday you are there and if you were working, your company can't fire you for being gone. I had to serve last year (live in NC) and I used the time to read because you might be doing a bunch of sitting if you don't see a case. Use it to brush up on your computer studies and earn a little ( I mean little) pay. Also, at least in NC you don't have to serve again for two years and they give you a little card saying when you served.

The important key to remember is that, it is the law! If you moved, it is still your responsibility to change your address on your license so they can find you. So they will get you on day, say at your possible license renewal!

:D

Have fun!