Another OSPF question...

r_durantr_durant Member Posts: 486 ■■■□□□□□□□
Sybex asks...

Write down the command that will display all different OSPF route types that are currently known by the router.

The ans was given as...sh ip ospf database

This command shows the Link ID, ADV (advertising) Router, Age, Seq#, Checksum and Link count...from the caption in the book...I haven't been to the lab yet icon_redface.gif

My questions is...what are the different OSPF route types? I don't remember reading about different OSPF route types...
CCNA (Expired...), MCSE, CWNA, BSc Computer Science
Working on renewing CCNA!

Comments

• dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Different link types or more specifically, the different Link State Advertisments (LSAs). THey will be listed as different groups of networks, from LSA type 1 to 7.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • r_durantr_durant Member Posts: 486 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hmmmm...well, LSA types and route types "sound" totally different to me...unless, it's just how it's worded, but in any event the LSA types weren't mentioned in the text...

But, I'm assuming it's beyond the scope of CCNA...
  • tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    r_durant wrote:
    Hmmmm...well, LSA types and route types "sound" totally different to me...unless, it's just how it's worded, but in any event the LSA types weren't mentioned in the text...

r_durant,

Within the scope of the CCNA, be familiar with LSA types 1 and 2.

LSA Type 1 are sent from an OSPF router to another OSPF router.
    LSA Type 2 are sent from the OSPF DR router to other OSPF routers within the same area.

I hope this helps.

Source:
    1. OSPF Design Guide - Cisco Systems - Appendix 1 - http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_white_paper09186a0080094e9e.shtml#appa1
  • r_durantr_durant Member Posts: 486 ■■■□□□□□□□
    r_durant wrote:

r_durant,

Within the scope of the CCNA, be familiar with LSA types 1 and 2.

LSA Type 1 are sent from an OSPF router to another OSPF router.
    LSA Type 2 are sent from the OSPF DR router to other OSPF routers within the same area.

I hope this helps.

Source:
    1. OSPF Design Guide - Cisco Systems - Appendix 1 - http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_white_paper09186a0080094e9e.shtml#appa1

Yup, it did...