Would you recommend Experts Exchange?

mog27mog27 Member Posts: 302
I tried this a little a while back, almost a year ago and I liked it. Your questions seemed to be answered relatively quickly. It now costs around $10 a month though. Anyone have any opinions on EE?
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin

"The internet is a great way to get on the net." --Bob Dole

Comments

• sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It seems whenever I do a google search for a problem I am having I run into there site a lot. It makes me mad when I scroll down and can't read the responses because you have to pay. crash.gif
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I used EE a lot for solving programming problems back when you could just delete a cookie to get access to the "for pay" answers. It took them years to implement a better protection scheme. I didn't notice that I found more answers to my problems at EE than at another programmer's Web site, but I did find some useful and clever solutions there.
  • mog27mog27 Member Posts: 302
    JDMurray wrote:
    I used EE a lot for solving programming problems back when you could just delete a cookie to get access to the "for pay" answers. It took them years to implement a better protection scheme. I didn't notice that I found more answers to my problems at EE than at another programmer's Web site, but I did find some useful and clever solutions there.

You were so bad! icon_wink.gif
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin

• Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    EE is a great site.... You can sign up for a free account there that will allow you to post solutions and browse solutions, but I don't know if it will allow you to ask a question without a subscription.
  • mog27mog27 Member Posts: 302
    Im considering registering and paying the fee so I have it as a backup in case I run into a tech issue at work I need a response to asap.

mog27 wrote:
    JDMurray wrote:
    I used EE a lot for solving programming problems back when you could just delete a cookie to get access to the "for pay" answers. It took them years to implement a better protection scheme.
    I don't think much of security schemes that can be defeated by simply clearing the cookies from your browser cache. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    JDMurray wrote:
    mog27 wrote:
    JDMurray wrote:
    I used EE a lot for solving programming problems back when you could just delete a cookie to get access to the "for pay" answers. It took them years to implement a better protection scheme.
    I don't think much of security schemes that can be defeated by simply clearing the cookies from your browser cache. icon_rolleyes.gif
    If you used google to get there the answers appear in Google's cache :)
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Another pro-EE vote. Sometimes there are just some issues you can't solve yourself. Doesn't matter how experienced you are or how many certifications you have, there's always something out there you don't know (or forget).
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    blargoe wrote:

What I was going to mention but being an upstanding kind of guy I never do this.....
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
    Sie wrote:
    blargoe wrote:

What I was going to mention but being an upstanding kind of guy I never do this.....
    EE has implemented a clever scheme whereby the answers are displayed as obscured images to unregistered users and now do not turn up in a Google searches to be cached. This means that EE will receive fewer hits from Google searches, but they'll encourage more people to pay.
  • NPA24NPA24 Member Posts: 588 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I use EE almost all the time. I'm always running into issues where I need to find a more creative solution because of just how our environment is setup. Signing up is free and when you are registered you can actually see the threads. Also this site is good to sharpen your technical skills.

I volunteer my time while I'm on the website to answer and give feedback to people's questions. Also after posting and helping others in the site...you accumulate points and once you reach some point threshhold...then you will be a premier member which will allow you to post your own questions.

The fee is only for people who want to ask questions. Other than that I think it's a great site and it has a strong community filled with very smart people.

IMHO - 2 thumbs up!
    JDMurray wrote:
    Sie wrote:
    blargoe wrote:

EE has implemented a clever scheme whereby the answers are displayed as obscured images to unregistered users and now do not turn up in a Google searches to be cached. This means that EE will receive fewer hits from Google searches, but they'll encourage more people to pay.

Shows when the last time I did this was!!
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    JDMurray wrote:

Now it is done my IP.

But yeah I would recommend EE, I think it is a great investment.
  • kevozzkevozz Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I like EE. I've found practically every answer i could find through them somewhere else on the internet, but it usually takes longer to do the research yourself. It's great for a business where time is money. There are some very knowledgeable people on the site.
    JDMurray wrote:
    Sie wrote:
    blargoe wrote:

Checked this the other day and still works same with google cache. Two different questions.
    Maybe i was just lucky! icon_confused.gif:
  • mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If I remember correctly, the forums used to be free but I quit going there after they tried to commercialize it.

Sounds kinda like Oracle and MySQL. Oracle bought MySQL then commercialized it.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • jad75jad75 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm gonna have to go against the grain here and say that I really dislike EE. People there are so obsessed about getting points for answering questions that when you ask a question it is quickly spammed with a bunch of cut and paste replies that usually show that the person replying didn't even bother to fully read and comprehend your question. It is frustrating.