Bulking Diet Begins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aquabat [banned]Aquabat [banned] Inactive Imported Users Posts: 299
Ok a little background first....

febuary 05' i weighed 220 all flab and fat
febuary 06' i dieted down to 160 all skin and bone
febuary 07' i bulked up and started lifting. i got up to 215 mostly muscle, goal weight was 225

around july i had to stop lifting cause i moved, and lost some weight, right now i'm 180.

so i just found a new gym, and it's time to start bulking again. i'm aiming for around 8,000 calories a day. lifting 6 days a week and no cardio (for maximum gains)

so far i've been on the wendy's/mcdonalds diet. Today went to A&W and got a Papa Burger Combo:

double_cheese.gif
i herd u leik mudkips lol

Comments

• BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wendy's/McDonald's???

I lift on a regular basis, and I avoid this crap at all costs. These aren't the ideal foods if you want to put on lean muscle mass....
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A desk job, Burger King, Starbuck's and a good metabolism keep me at about 170. icon_lol.gif
    However, the waistline has increased an inch or two and I should really be at about 160. I turn 40 in a few months and I know it can only get worse. icon_sad.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • IllusionkingIllusionking Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My recommendation is to move to California or Las Vegas
    home_center.jpg
    MMMMM mmmmm good
    MCP/MCSA/MCSE
    Done: 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70,293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299,
    A.S. Electronic Engineering
    A.S. CIS
    A.S. Social/Behavioral Sciences
    Studying
    CCNA
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    home_center.jpg
    MMMMM mmmmm good
    +100... Jack in the box, in and out, and A&W are enough reasons for me to move back to california.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • mog27mog27 Member Posts: 302
    Aquabat wrote:
    Ok a little background first....

febuary 05' i weighed 220 all flab and fat
    febuary 06' i dieted down to 160 all skin and bone
    febuary 07' i bulked up and started lifting. i got up to 215 mostly muscle, goal weight was 225

around july i had to stop lifting cause i moved, and lost some weight, right now i'm 180.

so i just found a new gym, and it's time to start bulking again. i'm aiming for around 8,000 calories a day. lifting 6 days a week and no cardio (for maximum gains)

so far i've been on the wendy's/mcdonalds diet. Today went to A&W and got a Papa Burger Combo:

double_cheese.gif

Are you kidding me? You are going to gain fat and clogged arteries. You need cardio too. This is a very unhealthy diet, even if you lift weights. It's calories in vs calories out and you would be taking a lot more in and out, especially if you don't do cardio.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin

"The internet is a great way to get on the net." --Bob Dole
  • 3000GT3000GT Member Posts: 212
    Jeees i try to keep away from the junk food, ive been bulking for past 6 months, going to start a cut soon, ive got such a belly, guess i should of bulked abit more cleaner :-/
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    home_center.jpg
    MMMMM mmmmm good

Also located in AZ!!! We even have a fatburger now, and that is GOOD :D
    Ive been trying to stay away from the junk food (as Im finishing up a Whopper while typing this). It costs too much and Im trying to eat better.

I weighed 150 my senior year of high school at 6'1" Played baseball and had a good workout regiment. Gained NOTHING, not even any tone!!! I was a rake, but a strong rake (max bench +35lbs my weight). After a year of college ball, I stopped playing/working out. I finally started to gain some pounds. 6 years later im 6'3" and 197, mostly unconditioned muscle. Im also a victim of a desk job with little to no daily exercise. I started playing basketball again, and Im considering hitting the gym now that I finally filled out some. Once I get some studies out of the way, ill be seriously considering toning up.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    I used ot be heavily into weight training not so much now

but try to eat healthy foods from good protein sources rather than fast food
  • Aquabat [banned]Aquabat [banned] Inactive Imported Users Posts: 299
    well, fast food isn't so bad for my diet. the only bad part are the simple carbs, and well the sat fat. Sure you can eat chicken breast and brown rice. you will put on lean mass, but you won't put it on very fast.

eating like a monster will allow me to gain tons of muscle and some fat to. rather than just a little bit of muscle.

i'm stacking mega men's sprt
    NO-Xplode
    powder l-glutamine
    Optimum protien
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I think you should do a little reaserch. Lean foods bulid muscle better than fatty foods. If you eat chicken and tuna like a monster you will gain A LOT more muscle than if you eat fast food like a monster. You may not enjoy it as much but it will work better. You may think you are gaining a lot of muscle on your fast food diet but its probably just more fat. Maybe science is wrong and you are right though. icon_lol.gif
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    If you eat chicken and tuna like a 61.jpg

Sorry had to bring more food into it.
    MCP/MCSA/MCSE
    A.S. CIS
    Studying
    CCNA
  • seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    Aquabat wrote:
    well, fast food isn't so bad for my diet. the only bad part are the simple carbs, and well the sat fat. Sure you can eat chicken breast and brown rice. you will put on lean mass, but you won't put it on very fast.

eating like a monster will allow me to gain tons of muscle and some fat to. rather than just a little bit of muscle.

NO-Xplode
    powder l-glutamine
    Optimum protien

If your making good gains it is from the protein and not the fast food. I would do a little more research before i stayed on that diet long. You are working against yourself very hard. Additionally your 6 daya week workout is probably overkill. It is very easy to over train and work against yourself. I have done it sevearl times.

Ive got more of a jock body than a geek body and have been a gym rat for several years.
  • mrhaun03mrhaun03 Member Posts: 359
    Aquabat wrote:

NO-Xplode
    powder l-glutamine
    Optimum protien

first off, i'm glad to see you liftin, brian...you had bad posture when we were in school.

fat doesn't turn into muscle. these foods are only giving you fat, buddy. even the salads at these places are unhealthy. 8,000 calories from mickie d's and wendy's is like a big mac and fries...you're gonna be like that guy on "Super Size Me." what're you thinkin? even with exercisin you could never be healthy eatin that sh*t. menshealth.com....that's all you need, man.

Good luck on the body building!!!
    Working on Linux+
  • mrhaun03mrhaun03 Member Posts: 359
    Aquabat wrote:

NO-Xplode
    powder l-glutamine
    Optimum protien

If your making good gains it is from the protein and not the fast food. I would do a little more research before i stayed on that diet long. You are working against yourself very hard. Additionally your 6 daya week workout is probably overkill. It is very easy to over train and work against yourself. I have done it sevearl times.

Ive got more of a jock body than a geek body and have been a gym rat for several years.

I agree...6 days a week might be a little much. Especially at first. Your body needs time to rest and heal...that's what builds muscle. The soreness is from your muscles tearing and being exhausted...you can't get a good work out unless they're healed. There's always steroids to help with that tho. icon_lol.gif but that'll just cause more problems then it's worth.
    Working on Linux+
    Whew... I'm still pumped from using the mouse. icon_cool.gif
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If you eat chicken and tuna like a 61.jpg

Sorry had to bring more food into it.

Hey that wasn't in my post ^^^ I do like monster though but I drink the blue one!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    Hey that wasn't in my post ^^^ I do like monster though but I drink the blue one!
    Ok Ok you caught me, I just switched out the word and put a picture....I am ashamed
    MCP/MCSA/MCSE
    A.S. CIS
    Studying
    CCNA
    I think you should do a little reaserch. Lean foods bulid muscle better than fatty foods. If you eat chicken and tuna like a monster you will gain A LOT more muscle than if you eat fast food like a monster. You may not enjoy it as much but it will work better. You may think you are gaining a lot of muscle on your fast food diet but its probably just more fat. Maybe science is wrong and you are right though. icon_lol.gif

no my research is fine, i've been making pretty good gains for the past year. No, that is bs. It doesn't matter, 6 ounces of chicken breast covered in fat, builds he same amount of muscle as just a chicken breast. If you are eating 500 more calories than you are burning than you are going to gain fat.......period. So if someone lik emy frame that needs 3000 cals a day eats 7,000 cals a day instead. i am going to gain some fat. regardless of where it's from. Now i might gain that fat faster from mcdonalds because of the simplae carbs and sat fat, but i would say that muscle will be the same. The only difference of clean bulking and ditry bulking is that dirty gains more fat, and fast muscle.

Thanks Evan!!!! well the choloestrol is bad but....

1. i am a hard gainer, i ate pizza for 2 weeks straight, and i can't gain anymore than a pound a month.
    2. i'm going to have to resort to wendy's to put on that weight. and ice cream... lost of coldstone creamery

well, depending on what body parts you lift and whether you lift havy or not yea 6 days a week is beast. i try to keep the sessions short at too body parts a day with a 3 day split. obviously you take a day off for your body to regrow and refuel
    Hey aquabat, the issue you'll have with what you call "dirty bulking" is the habits you pick up that last a lifetime. As you age, your testoserone levels decrease, meaning you have less energy and your muscles don't repair/heal as fast as they used to. By the time you pass 30, or 40, etc. it will be much harder to work out enough to burn those 3000 calories a day, but you will run the risk of picking up very bad eating habits that are hard to break out of.

As you age, bad habits come easier, good habits come harder, and you have to work twice as hard to maintain your muscle tone/weight let alone increasing it. It's a fact of life that goes all the way back to the garden. I speak from experience too - I was a competetive martial artist, runner and weight lifter (power lifting, not body building) in my late teens and early twenties. I am talking about several years of 5 workouts a week lasting 6-7 hours a day. Age, marriage, kids, family responsibilities, etc. (the normal excuses I scoffed at when I was in good shape) all took their toll. It took a few years for me to realize the truths about age and metabolism.

Good luck! :)
    hmmm, i don't know if metabolism is a key role is getting older, but testoserone levels definitly are in play here. But at my age i am fine with eating, i'll burn it all off. It's just so hard eating so much food and not gaining any weight. Yea i'm glad i'm not old that would suck balls
  • ilcram19ilcram19 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 206
    FAT doesnt become muscle, instead of eating fast food which is a diet of FAT and Carbs, i would recommend you to eat popeye's chicken or church's chicken which is a combination of protine and FAT, which from that you would be using protine for muscle growing and FAT for energy or calories, if you want to muscle up with out getting the fat in you stomach avoid fast food, eat salads and healthy food do alot of cardio and aleast try to get from 1 gram of protine per pound of weight or 1.5 grams of protine per pound of body weight
    example 180pounds body weight 180 grams of protine per day, and i can assure you you will be lean and cut in less than 2 months, intead of being fat and bulk and im not metioning that you would be stronger weight 190 pounds than weighting 215...
    If you stop getting better, you cease being good
  • seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    ilcram19 wrote:
    FAT doesnt become muscle, instead of eating fast food which is a diet of FAT and Carbs, i would recommend you to eat popeye's chicken or church's chicken which is a combination of protine and FAT, which from that you would be using protine for muscle growing and FAT for energy or calories, if you want to muscle up with out getting the fat in you stomach avoid fast food, eat salads and healthy food do alot of cardio and aleast try to get from 1 gram of protine per pound of weight or 1.5 grams of protine per pound of body weight
    example 180pounds body weight 180 grams of protine per day, and i can assure you you will be lean and cut in less than 2 months, intead of being fat and bulk and im not metioning that you would be stronger weight 190 pounds than weighting 215...

I agree. There is definately more to it than eating like a monster. That is actually considered one of the oldest and worst bodybuilding myths out there. The workout is the easy part of making good gains. The diet is the most crucial and the hardist part. You may even be making incredible gains now. Just wait till you plateu and then thats when it all gets hard. You will keep getting bigger because you will keep adding on fat but that additional size adds nothing. He is definately correct in saying that you could easily be stronger and leaner at 190 rather than 215. Ive always had a hard time gaining good muscle mass. But i weight about 150 and can press 250 with less than 10% body fat so i think im doing alright. Eating clean is one of if not the most important factor to a good workout program. Eat clean, workout hard in a good program, and get plenty of water + sleep and your set. The rest is only time.

Additionally i would start taking body measurements to record your size growth. Your weight means virtually nothing. Saying you gained 2 inches in your chest and 1 in your arms is a heck of a lot better than saying i gained 5 pounds.

hmm im in a slump now working weird hours and not sleeping, working out, or eating right....i think this thread was what i needed to get my head back into it.
    Aquabat wrote:
    hmmm, i don't know if metabolism is a key role is getting older, but testoserone levels definitly are in play here. But at my age i am fine with eating, i'll burn it all off. It's just so hard eating so much food and not gaining any weight. Yea i'm glad i'm not old that would suck balls

Enjoy it while you can. Play now and pay later or pay now and play later. My bad habits weren't a problem when I was younger. The problem is that youth goes away, while bad habits endure. Anyway, I know that young guys don't take advice from older guys who have been in their shoes. :P

I wish I had listened to my elders more when I was young, 20/20 hind sight as they say.
    Why are we talking about this on a tech site anyway? icon_lol.gif
  • BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm 23, weigh ~210, at 5'10". I can outlift most people that go the my gym, and some of these guys are monsters (aka taking supplements that build water weight but not strength). Do whatever works for you, but I eat pretty healthy, take NO supplements, not even protein shakes, and I can lift with the best of them. I work out 4-5 times a week, doing 2 muscle groups per workout session.

I think the key thing with lifting is consistency. I have a workout routine and eating habits that I can easily maintain. Do you think you will be able to live off of fast food and workout 6 times a week consistently? I see so many people that put on weight very fast, but then drop out of the gym or become half their size within a month.

Also, you claim you went from 160 to 215 within a year??? 55 pounds in muscle in 1 year's time? Not for nothing, but if it was mostly all muscle, you don't lose that weight so quickly unless you were on something like andro or steroids.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Lol fast food diet? that simply is ridiculous

Not only is the food loaded with Carbs , Saturated fats and Sugar consuming this junk leaves a coating of a tar like substance on your bowels so don't be suprised after a few days if things become painful when taking a ****.

Hell if you lose weight your as stated earlier your end up with clogged up arteries.
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
    ilcram19 wrote:
    if you want to muscle up eat salads

yea because salad has alot of protein in it!!!! icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif

ummm, a junior bacon cheesburger at wendys has 24 grams of protein. So what your saying makes no sense at all
    ilcram19 wrote:
    i would recommend you to eat popeye's chicken

ok? and that's not fast food?
    ilcram19 wrote:
    eat salads and healthy food

wait, you just told me to eat popeyes chicken, which has more fat than other fast food.

so, you are telling me to eat healthy foods like popeyes chicken and put muscle on with salads?? icon_rolleyes.gif

Dude, check out pics of lee priest. he bulks like a champion. granted he is on roids but still. any fat can be taken off with a quality cutting cycle. [/quote]
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't have a specific goal in mind, but I've been working out for the past couple of months. I get up(well, most mornings) and go jogging on the beach. I normally run for about one-two hours, most of the time on soft sand(further from the water) and it's hard as heck. :o

I've succeeded in burning away a lot of fat. I don't have handles anymore and abs are starting to develop. Once I finish jogging, I stop by the fitness room and work out for a short while. I do situps and lift weights for about 20 minutes.

Though I hear you should wait 4 hours inbetween jogs and weight-lifting, since your body supposedly eats the muscle. *shrug*

KG
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Aquabat wrote:
    ummm, a junior bacon cheesburger at wendys has 24 grams of protein. So what your saying makes no sense at all
    There's a lot more than 24g of protein in one of those burgers. You need to consider all the bad stuff in the burger too.

And you also need to consider the digestibility of the protein. Eating 24g of protein doesn't mean you body will be able to assimilate 24g of protein. Cooked meat is not a good source of digestible protein unless it has been processed with digestive enzymes (beef liver tablets). Eggs and dairy are far more digestible sources of protein for humans. You also need to research the affect heating and cooking have on the digestibility of various sources of protein.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    KGhaleon wrote:
    Though I hear you should wait 4 hours inbetween jogs and weight-lifting, since your body supposedly eats the muscle. *shrug*
    You body builds muscle only when you are running at a caloric surplus (that is, taking in more calories than you burn) AND when you are sleeping at night. When you are dieting to loose body fat (caloric deficit) you are not building muscle. Weight training is an excellent way to build muscle and loose body fat, but you can't do both at the same time.
    JDMurray wrote:
    Eggs and dairy are far more digestible sources of protein for humans.

that's true, but eggs and dairy are a slower casein protien, you want something fast like whey protein for your post-workout. eggs and dairy are only good when you wake up, or before bed