Options

Cant ping switch, but it's forwarding frames!

Team,

I have a DELL powerconnects 3048, which is forwarding frame properly, but I cant ping it.My career depends on it just kidding, it's real annoying to see that switch as the only red icon on SNMP. PLease help!!

Comments

• Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    hmm... replace it icon_lol.gif
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Can you explain what you have done so far to try to resolve the issue? I see that you have your Network+ and CCNA, a failed ping test SHOULD be pretty simple for you to resolve.

I'm guessing you haven't even thought about it much, considering your main concern was whether switching was still happening. Anyway, describe a little bit more about what the situation is.

You're not a newb now are you? The solution doesn't need to be spoon fed to you anymore...

Think about why ping is failing, where is it failing? What's in the path of connectivity between your switch and your workstation? What kind of functions do these devices in the path perform? How will these functions affect a ping that was issued?
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    cdad2000cdad2000 Member Posts: 323
    Yea, I'm just going 2 replace it.Thanks
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    default gateway? routing issues? ACLs back to your management workstation? etc.

But yeah -- number one problem -- it's not a Cisco switch. icon_lol.gif

You're going to replace it with a Cisco switch, right? :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    cdad2000cdad2000 Member Posts: 323