Passed 70-271 today (899)

HayrabHayrab Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I actually was concerned when I hit the end exam button as to whether I passed or not, but to my suprise I scored a 899.

My company paid for CBT, I also got the MS Press books with the class but they were terrible I didn't even bother to read them. I did enjoy the Cybex book though, I will use it to prepare for 20-272. I also used certquest.net for sample questions, mindleaders.com (which my company also pays for) and the transcenders.

Honestly the test seemed harder than the transcenders which I was scoring between 80-85% on each time, there were alot of tough questions regarding Remote Assitance that I hadn't seen covered in any of my study materials.

Anyway, just thought I would share my exam experience, there were 61 questions and I had 120 minutes for the test but only used about 60.

How long can I wait before I take 20-272? I like to really overstudy so I'll most likely spend a month looking over books/questions before I take it, unless there is some time limit. After this Im not sure if I want to go for MCSA or Security+ (Already have A+ and Net+) but I just recently started getting my certs after being in the industry for 5+ years and am just really encouraged to keep chugging along on them.

Comments

• ThiassiThiassi Member Posts: 167
    Congrats and nice score. :)
    ~Thiassi
  • 7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats icon_cool.gif
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • glennrossleeglennrosslee Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I waited 3 weeks before taking the next exam (70-272) after passing 70-271. The first one I scored 849 and in the second I scored 809. I hardly even learnt in those 3 weeks. It was just boring me so much, I knew the work as I also have 5+ years in IT and also recently started getting certified. I started with A+ which I completed in a month, N+ - I completed in 1.5 months and then next was MCDST which I did in just less than a month. I have now moved onto the MCSA certificate, starting with 70-270 as this info is still fresh in my mind from the MCDST, then I will go onto 70-290, Server+ then 70-291 for the last MCSA requirment. Look, it's totally up to you, but as you have indicated you have 5+ years experience, I really do not think you are going to struggle with the 70-272, the work is so repetitive after doing 70-271, it drove me crazy having too redo things!!! :) Goodluck with your studies but if I were you I would'nt wait to long between exams, you got a good score, I am sure with just a little revision (depending on your experience with Office, Outlook Express, Internet Explorer - Weren't many of these questions anyway in the exam! Alot of RDP - hint, hint) you will knock the 70-272 out of here...Goodluck!

P.S. Only study material I used was Exam Cram 2 and free study guides from www.cramsession.com. I had an old Sybex book too, little info was used from this book as it was outdated and not as thorough as the Exam Cram 2 book...
    Next up 70-290...Long term (within a year) is Server+, 70-621, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298 and Security+
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nice Job!
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • HayrabHayrab Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Took 70-272 today, dang PearsonVUE for not doing MS exams anymore, prometric sucks

I got a 945, there were 50 questions, at the end of the exam the prometric software took a good 5 minutes of a blank white screen before giving me my results. I knew I had passed but its still nail biting sitting there waiting for your score.

What do you guys think I should take next, start towards MCSA, or 70-621? I also have books for Security+ Im not sure what I want to do next, I guess I need to find out what work is willing to pay for.
  • fileman40fileman40 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi there,

I passed my 271 4 weeks ago, found this great site with people doing the same thing, all knowing how hard it can be to get motivated and get these exams done. Nice to see people with positive attitudes and congratulating each other...
    Just started studying for my 272 about 5 days ago, going to book the exam for just under 3 weeks away. (I need to set myself a target!)
    Great to see people coming out with good scores and damn does it feel good when you pass...
    I'm not happy with MS choosing Thomson Prometric over PearsonVue, booking an exam was so much easier before it seems where I am. (Japan)
    Anyway, 272 here I come!

Watch this space.

Congrats and regards to all.
  • jediknightjediknight Member Posts: 113
    Congrats on the pass!
  • rkholmesrkholmes Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Excellent score!

Oh and yes, even here in the US Prometric sucks. I much prefer VUE for a quality testing experience.

Microsoft is probably saving a ton of cash having a single exam delivery partner (read: whichever provider agreed to deliver as CHEAP as possible won the contract).

You should do very well on the 272. I found it the easiest of the three. Some tips for you:

1. Know your MSIE privacy settings very well
    2. Have solid Outlook Express troubleshooting and configuration skills
    3. Have solid understanding of troubleshooting connectivity issues on the client side.

Those three items were what I saw most of on the test. The rest of it was IMHO 270 and 271 rehash.

Best of luck with that exam, I'm sure you will do well. icon_cool.gif
  • HayrabHayrab Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well talked to the bossman today he recommended I go for 70-621 since our desktops are starting to come with Vista, so I have begun studying for that, any advice other than "read the vista forums" haha
  • Nishesh.PrasadNishesh.Prasad Member Posts: 185
    nice job .... buddy !!
    MCITP: EA 2008| VCP4| MCSE 2003 | CCNA | MCSA 2003: Security | MCDST | Security+ | ITILV3
  • fileman40fileman40 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi All,

Thanks for the tips, I put it back as work has been hell, well that's my excuse!
    Got it next week, really thanks for the tips and I'll keep checking in.

After the exam pass or fail, I'll pass on the word...

Cheers for the positive vibes, hopefully they will carry me through.

Speak soon.