controllers

JSW77JSW77 Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
ive just got to clear this up... whenever someone speaks of a controller, whether it be a usb controller or ide controller, this is always a physical chip that is a part of the chip set...correct? thanks.

Comments

• Kevin57Kevin57 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Controllers to the best of my knowledge are on the motherboard or a physical card. Software can update control drivers.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    JSW77 wrote:
    ive just got to clear this up... whenever someone speaks of a controller, whether it be a usb controller or ide controller, this is always a physical chip that is a part of the chip set...correct? thanks.
    For the examples you mentioned, yes. But like Kevin posted, they can be on an expansion card as well. (i.e. SATA controller)
  • JSW77JSW77 Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    alright, thanks. On a related note, the hard drive controller is always (nowadays) sold with the hard drive and located inside the hard drive, yes? Also, why is there both an ide controller and hard drive controller? when my A+ book speaks of the system bios communicating with the hard drive, it mentions that it uses the hard drive controller to translate, but it doesnt mention the ide controller being involved in the process. What is the relationship between the hard drive controller and ide controller? thanks.