Options

Networking Path questions

jhcarrelljhcarrell Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm currently studying for the Network+ exam which I hope to take soon. After that, I was looking at CCNA & CCNP to help give me a solid foundation from which to launch my career. Are there any other certifications I should consider along with those mentioned above?

I'm in college at the moment on Uncle Sam's dime (thank you GI Bill), but have just about decided that certification would be the more practical route for my career goals.

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,029 Admin
    jhcarrell wrote:
    Are there any other certifications I should consider along with those mentioned above?
    The CompTIA Security+ is a good one to consider. Security+ is always a concern in IT and Microsoft and the DoD recognizes the Security+ cert.
    jhcarrell wrote:
    I'm in college at the moment on Uncle Sam's dime (thank you GI Bill), but have just about decided that certification would be the more practical route for my career goals.
    This is a very bad move. STAY IN COLLEGE! Certifications are not a replacement for a college degree. You need both and can do both at the same time. Many people at TechExams.net--including myself--do both while we gain practical experience from working at our careers.
  • Options
    IllusionkingIllusionking Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm going to agree with JDMurray

Certs are important, but so are degrees.
    Heck you aren't even paying for school, leech it as much and as long as you can. If you get tired of studying curricular IT move on to management studies.

Always aspire for the biggest and greatest. It could mean the difference between a 50K per year administration job and a 180K per year Chief Financial Officer.

Be an overachiever, set your goals high.
    MCP/MCSA/MCSE
    Done: 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70,293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299,
    A.S. Electronic Engineering
    A.S. CIS
    A.S. Social/Behavioral Sciences
    Studying
    CCNA
  • Options
    I guess I should have been more specific, my current major is Political Science which does nothing but depress me more with each passing day. (today's political atmosphere is disgusting)

I'm looking into transferring to an IT geared school ... possibly something like American Sentinel University to tie in course work and certifications together. The thing is I'm not sure how reputable an online school like ASU is ...

Certifications are more practical at the moment because my school work has little to nothing to do with IT. That's what I meant by my comment.

I do appreciate the suggestions and I'm open to more.
  • Options
    draineydrainey Member Posts: 261
    Stay in school and try to stay with an accredited school at that. I've done reasonably well with just certs, but have also been passed over for jobs due to the lack of a degree. Degrees are often a criteria that employers use when selecting who does and doesn't get an interview. A degree will often be the critical component in be considered for management as well.

You can always switch from Political Science to an IT related degree.

Good luck whatever you decide.
    The irony truly is strange that you're the only one you can change. -- Anthony Gomes
  • Options
    IllusionkingIllusionking Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jhcarrell wrote:
    I guess I should have been more specific, my current major is Political Science which does nothing but depress me more with each passing day. (today's political atmosphere is disgusting)

I'm looking into transferring to an IT geared school ... possibly something like American Sentinel University to tie in course work and certifications together. The thing is I'm not sure how reputable an online school like ASU is ...

Certifications are more practical at the moment because my school work has little to nothing to do with IT. That's what I meant by my comment.

I do appreciate the suggestions and I'm open to more.

Ahh that makes a little more sense.

I still stick with my previous comments though!
    MCP/MCSA/MCSE
    Done: 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70,293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299,
    A.S. Electronic Engineering
    A.S. CIS
    A.S. Social/Behavioral Sciences
    Studying
    CCNA
  • Options
    malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    do the degree you're already doing and keep doing the IT certs on the side!....my cisco leturer done a degree in politics - go figure!
  • Options
    taktsoitaktsoi Member Posts: 224
    please dont underestimate the power of the college degree. The sooner you get, the more doors your future opens.

Having a college degree especially a bachelor degree is almost a must nowadays. Companies see a bachelor degree as a finish project. Regardless of the major, if you don't have it, they won't open the door for you. Most companies won't care about your major tho. They care about whether or not you have a degree + cert + experience.

Certifications and experiences are also important as well. However, treat cert and experience as a supplement in combination of your degree.

Hey, dude, tell you what, i m a guy who is 29 just going back to college to finish my bachelor degree. I am doing full time in school plus full time job. I am also trying to finish mcse as well, but i will delay it a little bit. I wanna get my bachelor fast, in about 2 years.

So After 2 years, I am a guy who equip a bachelor degree + certifications + experience. I believe there should be so many doors opening for me.

Please re-consider again. Please.

Just my 2 cents.
    mean people SUCK !!! BACK OFF !!!
    The Next Stop is, MCSE 2003 and CCNA.
    Bachelors of Technology in 1 More Year.

-Working on CCENT. Thank you my love <3
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,029 Admin
    jhcarrell wrote:
    The thing is I'm not sure how reputable an online school like ASU is ...
    One thing about online schools is there a lot of information online about them. Your first place to check is degree.net. American Sentinel University is listed on there. It appears to have distance education accreditation, but not the regional accreditation from the Southern Association of Schools and Colleges (SACS) that a school based in Alabama should have.

Check scholastic discussion forums and read what people are saying about ASU. I notice that ratemyprofessor.com only has three ASU instructors listed, so unfortunately that resource won't be much help. If it turns out that ASU is not for you, you'll probably find an online university that better fits your needs on degree.net.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Personally I would go for a degree but I would start with a 2 year degree with a couple of entry level certs and try to start working immediately while proceeding with the 4 year degree.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    I'm going to try and swap over to an computer science associates program for next semester. In the mean time I'm working on getting my first cert out of the way ... after network+ is CCENT worthwhile or should I just work towards the CCNA and Security+?

Just to give an idea of my relevant work experience I worked for Verizon Online as an Internet Tech Support Rep for 6 months.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I think the CCENT will definatley help you with an entry level job. It most likely won't get you an engineer or administrator position, but will more likely help you get something as a technician. It is a fairly new certification so I don't think many jobs will ask for it specificaly, but you would be better of with it than with out it in my opinion. If you feel comfortable with the material then you could just go for the combined exam.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.