Options

ccvp lab again

hendychowhendychow Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi,

Sorry If I am asking the same question which probably you've answered it already in the previous posting.
My situation is similar with most newcomers in this forum.
I got my CCNA last year (2006), I work as a NOC technician in a telecommunication company, but not using CallManager. They have their own product using SIP.

Since VOIP is hot and the pay is very good, I started pursuing CCVP.
I already bought some books such as CVOICE, CIPT, GWGK and CallManager

Now, I have the same problem, which I don't know how to build the lab.
In detail, I don't know "which devices" I have to get,
I dont' know "where to get" the devices and components for a reasonable price.
What kind of design for that devices and components.

If someone could help me starting from the BASIC, give an idea how to "PRACTICE".

To accommodate the whole CCVP exam,It would be very helpful If the expert in this forum could :
- write the specification of the LAB
- the design of the LAB
- the devices & components for the LAB
- and where to get that components & designs for the LAB for a reasonable price
- how to implement the DESIGN with the components and devices

Thanks

Marius
David

Comments

• Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think you'll find building the lab is part of the learning process. Here's what we use in my labs, built into pods which support 2 students.

Each pod contains:

(2) 2811 routers with multiflex t-1 vwic and PVDMs, 1 2 port FX0 vwic and 1 2 port FXS vwic. the fxo interfaces on one 2811 are connected to the fxs interfaces on the tother 2811 and vice versa.
    CME installed.

(2) Callmanger servers, one as a publisher and one as a subscriber.

(2) 3810 voice routers which are used to simulate a PBX, these are connected to the t-1 vwic on the 2811. They have multiple FXS interfaces, a t-1 interface and PVDMs

(4) 7960 phones

(4) analog phones connected to the 3810 FXS interfaces

(2) 3560 24 port PoE switches.

Other assorted software but that's the heart of it. Obviously this is a lot of eqipment and not cheap. If you're trying to do it on the cheap you can use a 1760 instead of the 2811, or if you have some 3640's you could use them but the nm-hdv is expensive. You can also use a 3550 pwr, or any switch that supports PoE. You could eliminate the PoE switch and use the power supplies at the phone.

Any way you slice it voice is expensive. Next to the BCMSN requirements it's the second most expensive lab I have.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    dtlokee,

Thank you for quick reply. I really appreciate it.
    If you don't mind to mention, how much approximately the total cost to build the Lab.
    Where did you buy the devices ?

Are there any other alternatives such as "Rent an online CCVP Lab", or "voice/network simulator ?

When the first time you pass CCVP, did you get a job right away ?
    In my situation, If I get CCVP but I don't have an experience yet as a Voice Engineer, Do you think I have a chance ?

Thanks a lot !!

Marius
    David
  • Options
    mariusac wrote:
    dtlokee,

Thank you for quick reply. I really appreciate it.
    If you don't mind to mention, how much approximately the total cost to build the Lab.
    Where did you buy the devices ?

Are there any other alternatives such as "Rent an online CCVP Lab", or "voice/network simulator ?

When the first time you pass CCVP, did you get a job right away ?
    In my situation, If I get CCVP but I don't have an experience yet as a Voice Engineer, Do you think I have a chance ?

Thanks a lot !!

Marius

You can rent a rack online but it will typically be set up for CCIE voice. I am a firm believer in having my own equipment, owning a school makes that easy for me. You can buy the equipment on ebay and sell it when you're done, it holds it's value pretty well. What I don't like about renting rack time is you typically need to schedule it a couple days ahead of time, then wait to use it. When the time comes to use it just hope somthing dosen't come up that prevents it, and you're in the mood to study.

As far as the job goes, I own a school so I wasn't looking for a job. I earned my CCVP to be able to deliver training. You have a better shot at finding an entry level job in voice than security, but be prepared to be undercut on salary vs somone with experience. After you gain some experience you will most likely need to move to a different company to get a rase that is in line with what you should earn. Somthing about companies, once you work there they like to give you 3-5% per year but if you move you could see a 30-50% increase once you get 2 years under your belt.

Total cost of my voice lab for 12 students was over 140k, that was buying from Cisco, no eBay. You could put together a decent lab for around 3-4k and even less if you're willing to skip some of the more expensive (but sometimes less useful) parts. You could use 2610 routers with a NM-2V with 2 fxs and 2 fxo interfaces, that would only cost aroun 300-400 each, so 2 of them. A switch, 3550 pwr smi for around $900, and then look into callmanager on VMware. The NM-HDV + vwic would be expensive, you could use a 3810 or somthing like that. All in all you can keep it reasonable. Again, you can resell it when you're done with it.
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dtlokee wrote:
    I think you'll find building the lab is part of the learning process. Here's what we use in my labs, built into pods which support 2 students.

Hey dtlokee who do you work for? My thought would be a training provider but which one
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    keenon wrote:
    dtlokee wrote:

Hey dtlokee who do you work for? My thought would be a training provider but which one

Yeah I am a training partner, It's my company, I dont work for anyone! well, other than the students.

The lab setups are pretty expensive but it's worth it for the corporate market.
  • Options
    Hi,

If you don't mind, what is your company name ? Is there a company website, so I can take a look at it.
    How much is the cost of the training you provide and how long is it gonna take to finish CCVP training at your school ?

By the way, you had 4 stars.. How did you get that 4 stars in this forum ?

Thanks

Marius
    David
  • Options
    kensheakenshea Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My thought is also that it's a great benefit to setup your own lab - it's a learning experience in itself. I was faced with this same decision a few months back when I decided to pursue the CCVP and I decided to try to put together a home lab. When I started, I knew nothing about what hardware I needed so based on some of the posts from this site, I started piecing together a lab. So far I've passed the CVOICE and CIPT and am working on the GWGK but I've probably learned an equal amount just from putting the lab together. I've spent about $2000 so far and the following is what I picked up from Ebay:

1 Compaq CallManager 4.1 server
    1 VG200 gateway with 2 FXO and 2 FXS ports
    1 MCS3810 gateway - 4 FXS, 2 FXO, 1 T1/E1
    2 2600's (make great Gatekeepers)
    2 7910 phones, 1 7940, 1 7960, 1 7912
    1 2900 switch
    1 Asterisk server - Free!

So far I've been able to complete about 80% of the lab work from the 3 exams I've been studying for and this has been sufficient to pass the exams and get a general hands on feel for working with Cisco equipement. In an ideal world I would love to have nice new shiny routers with VWIC ports and a Unity server but I take what I can get. So far it's been a lot of fun.

I've kept all my receipts for everything and I'm going to check with my tax person to see if I can write this off as an educational expense. Does anyone know if you can write off lab stuff?

Hope this helps....
  • Options
    kenshea,

Wow you have passed CVOICE and CPIT. Congratulations !!

which books did you use to pass CVOICE and CIPT ?

Which books did you use to practice on your home lab ?

Thanks

Marius
    David
  • Options
    zciscoczciscoc Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi guys, great post by the way.

I have a few routers lying around from my CCNP track, wondering if they can be used for CCVP

Here is what I have

1 2600 XM with and FXO card
    5 2600s 10/11s ( one is used as a frame relay switch)
    2 3550 switches and about 3 IP phones
    1 Term server
    Any ideas as to how I can utilize this setup for CCVP

Thanks