Options

Failed :(

paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
Took my Net+ this morning and unfortunately failed with a score of 501. I slowly studied the entire Element K CBT over the span of about 2 months between full-time work and school.

I already have my A+ and about 10 years of personal use of a computer. However, I have limited hands-on networking experience and I've been working in the IT field as a Help Desk agent for only about 3 months now.

Surprisingly enough, I'm majoring in Computer Networking and I'm half way through my associates degree with a 3.95 IT related GPA. I don't feel that any of my college studies prepared me for this exam.

I was actually fairly confident taking the exam, I thought I knew the answers but apparently I didn't. I got hit with Novell, Mac, and UNIX questions. The scenario questions were probably the ones that got me good.

I'm more determined than ever to get this Net+ under my belt before graduating, I'm curious if you guys can suggest any good practice exams and study material for my next attack. Has anyone passed by solely using the material from this site?

Comments

• Options
    hjcoumanshjcoumans Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes, I did

But I'm no student anymore (for a loooooong time).

Check my other post in this forum for more background if you like.

Tips: Have a second book, because apparently the CBT you're using is not covering all the topics.

Short term solution: make notes on the questions you had wrong for sure and search the web for the correct answers and background.
    The basics on Novell and Apple stacks are not written in a fist thick volume. It only takes 10 pages incl. drawings and flowcharts.

Good luck with the prep and re-examination.

Regards,
    Han
    ToDolist: (deep breath) (roughly in sequence) 70-291, 70-290, Security+, 70-270, 70-294, LPIC-2, (out-of-sequence) CCDP 70-299, CWNA, EXIN ISF, CISSP, 8 more EXIN exams and some more work...... BS
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    paintb4707 wrote:
    Took my Net+ this morning and unfortunately failed with a score of 501. I slowly studied the entire Element K CBT over the span of about 2 months between full-time work and school.

Well, you're close, so review the objectives and spend a little more time on your weaker areas (should be listed on your exam score sheet)

As far as how much time you studied??? Doesn't matter if you spent 2 months or 2 years...preparedness comes down to experience, understanding of the objectives and ability to take a standardized test. All things that can be prepared for, but maybe it just wasn't the best time for the exam

Also, what material did you use to help prepare in addition to experience? Or from your post, should I take that you don't have experience with Networks and only with PC?

Not impossible to be successful at NET+ without experience, but the exam is targeting candidates with experience, so if a candidate doesn't have some experience...they may need to approach their prep a bit differently.

Try the TechNotes for NET+...they are excellent!

I already have my A+ and about 10 years of personal use of a computer. However, I have limited hands-on networking experience and I've been working in the IT field as a Help Desk agent for only about 3 months now.

So I can answer my own questions I see icon_redface.gif

So, I'd recommend a bit more time to prepare. If you only have 3 months of HD experience...take your time. THere shouldn't be a rush is this is something you WANT to pursue.

Surprisingly enough, I'm majoring in Computer Networking and I'm half way through my associates degree with a 3.95 IT related GPA. I don't feel that any of my college studies prepared me for this exam.

Well, no offense to your GPA, but GPA doesn't carry much weight any more and even less to an employer. College in many cases is what High School once was...and a college degree and a certification based on experience are two different paths. Doesn't mean they cannot cross....but they are two different disciplines.

I was actually fairly confident taking the exam, I thought I knew the answers but apparently I didn't. I got hit with Novell, Mac, and UNIX questions. The scenario questions were probably the ones that got me good.

Again, what materials did you use to prepare. Typically you will want a couple GOOD resources. Sybex and Meyers books work very well on the CompTIA certs. With NET+ the TechNotes here are excellent! CBT is good, but it really depends on a persons learning style and a single resource will not prepare a person 100%. Just like sports...cross-training benefits the athlete....cross-study benefits the candidate. Hang in there.

I'm 19 years old and I'm more determined than ever to get this Net+ under my belt before graduating, I'm curious if you guys can suggest any good practice exams and study material for my next attack. Has anyone passed by solely using the material from this site?

Age is not relevant...sorry. Your goal is good and possible, but your age isn't applicable to passing or not.

Several resources mentioned above are worth your time. If you don't want to buy the books, purchased used books and save a little bit of money.

Can you pass from the material here alone? Members have, so yes. However, that's not likely typical and most people benefit from several sources when they prepare.

Try again. You'll make it.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    Plantwiz wrote:
    paintb4707 wrote:

As far as how much time you studied??? Doesn't matter if you spent 2 months or 2 years...preparedness comes down to experience, understanding of the objectives and ability to take a standardized test. All things that can be prepared for, but maybe it just wasn't the best time for the exam

Usually 2 hours at a time, sometimes more. Whenever I had the spare time.
    Also, what material did you use to help prepare in addition to experience? Or from your post, should I take that you don't have experience with Networks and only with PC?

Just the element K and the small practice tests provided after every lesson. I probably should have ran through it twice but I wanted to take my exam before school started up again. I guess I shouldn't rush.

Well, no offense to your GPA, but GPA doesn't carry much weight any more and even less to an employer. College in many cases is what High School once was...and a college degree and a certification based on experience are two different paths. Doesn't mean they cannot cross....but they are two different disciplines.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't trying to boast. I was just saying that I've studied hard in school and ironically being related with the exam, it hasn't helped at all with preparation.
    I'm 19 years old and I'm more determined than ever to get this Net+ under my belt before graduating, I'm curious if you guys can suggest any good practice exams and study material for my next attack. Has anyone passed by solely using the material from this site?
    Age is not relevant...sorry. Your goal is good and possible, but your age isn't applicable to passing or not.

You're right. I probably shouldn't have mentioned my age, I just want to have my A+ and Net+ by the time I graduate so that I actually have a fighting chance to get a decent job.

I can try studying the material from this site, but would you suggest any practice exams in particular?
  • Options
    ksimpsonksimpson Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I like the Preplogic practice exams. I've used it on Security+ and I'm using the demo Net+ now. I like because it gives scenairo questions. Just my opinion tho.

Good Luck!!!!
    <b> DEGREE & CERTIFICATIONS </b>

B.S in Computer Information Systems, Security+
    WIP: Network+
    Next: CCNA
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Use as many tools as you can. Good luck