Options

291 Simulations

wpiersallwpiersall Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm working on the 291 exam and having issues with the simulations... does anyone know if there are any practice sims out there?
Who is General Failure and what is he doing in my computer!!

Comments

• Options
    JdotQJdotQ Member Posts: 230
    I know TestOut contains simulations for common tasks that are on the exam. They are *very* similar to what you will see on the exam (pretty much same format, question style, etc)

The MS Press book also outlines exercises/labs to do in a home lab, it walks you though how to do each step, and builds on previous chapters/labs as the book goes along.
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    The best prep available for 291 sims is Windows Server 2003 (any version except Web Edition)
    Those practice simulations are a joke compared to what you are expected to do for the sims on the test.

Download a trial version of Windows 2003 from Microsoft, read their Win2k3 deployment kit documentation, and go through deploying a small Windows 2003 Active Directory environment. (2-3 servers,1-2 clients)

Windows 2003 180-day trial: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/bb430831.aspx

Windows 2003 deployment kit: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/techinfo/reskit/deploykit.mspx
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    Thank you for replying JdotQ
    JdotQ wrote:
    I know TestOut contains simulations for common tasks that are on the exam.

They maybe common but not even close to the actual exam. I hope that your not only using TestOut as a way to pass the 291 exam. It is missing some serious content.

About the only sim that TestOut has came close to is for RRAS, other than that WOW! TestOut leaves much room for improvement.
  • Options
    Thanks for the information and I will look into it.
  • Options
    If you think your ready to take the exam ask yourself do I know SUS or WSUS? It appears that WSUS has returned to the exam.

Know WSUS content as in GPO settings for users as well as configuration of, and troubleshooting of.
  • Options
    JdotQJdotQ Member Posts: 230
    wpiersall wrote:
    Thank you for replying JdotQ
    JdotQ wrote:
    I know TestOut contains simulations for common tasks that are on the exam.

They maybe common but not even close to the actual exam. I hope that your not only using TestOut as a way to pass the 291 exam. It is missing some serious content.

About the only sim that TestOut has came close to is for RRAS, other than that WOW! TestOut leaves much room for improvement.
    I did use TestOut for my first round of taking this test, but ended up failing with a 679. I also skimmed over the 1st edition of the MS Press book, but I agree with you, the TestOut product alone is not enough to pass this exam. It actually kind of puts a false sense of security to you, making you feel like you are ready. At least one good thing with TestOut is they offer failure protection, so if you fail an exam, they pay you the exam cost by sending you a check -- this works and they stick to their word as I've used it!

For my second try at the exam, I'm using CBT Nuggets and the 2nd edition of the MS Press. The studying has been going well, and I feel that I'm learning MUCH more this time around. I hope to finished studying in the next four or five weeks and take the exam again then.

Good luck with your studies!
  • Options
    jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    wpiersall wrote:
    I'm working on the 291 exam and having issues with the simulations... does anyone know if there are any practice sims out there?

Simulation you can't go wrong with trainsignal plus it's fast track, watch the video twice I bet you, you will know a good portion of DNS.