Becoming my cellphone company

binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
I'm planning to undertake a very ambitious project in two stages:

1. To run my own VoIP company [just for myself]

2. To run my own mobile company [to service my cellphone and friends']

I'm willing to invest and spend time on this. I'm also willing to buy a couple of VoIP gateways and software licences. I've also looked into some GSM-to-PSTN gateways that have four channels for SIMs.

It's one those things I really want to try for my own satisfaction. Do you know what obstacles/barriers I will face?

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    binarysoul wrote:
    I'm planning to undertake a very ambitious project in two stages:

1. To run my own VoIP company [just for myself]

2. To run my own mobile company [to service my cellphone and friends']

I'm willing to invest and spend time on this. I'm also willing to buy a couple of VoIP gateways and software licences. I've also looked into some GSM-to-PSTN gateways that have four channels for SIMs.

It's one those things I really want to try for my own satisfaction. Do you know what obstacles/barriers I will face?

Well, there are a ton out there already and many doing it poorly. There are some doing it pretty-good, but still needs work.

Do your research and learn what your 'competition' is doing. Just because there is shareware/freeware programs out there doesn't mean you'll have good service. I've run into companies selling service and using some of these open source packages....they just don't handle business traffic.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • techgeek07techgeek07 Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would be really interested in finding out more about this. Are you planning on documenting a journal about this on the net, anywhere?
    Please excuse any spelling errors, I speak well, but, write like a five year old
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    I may creat a blog of some sort once I make some progress. At first, I just want to be able to make and recieve calls from home using VoIP. Then I will try to be able to make long-distance calls.

Eventually [and if feasible], I want to study how a cellphone company is made. I know they need towers, licenses, data centers, security and many more, but I just want to see if there is any way I can join their networks using some kind of hardware or gateways. I know I have to pay enormous fees to do so, but I will explore this venue.

I always wanted to undertake an IT project that seems extremely ambitious.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Start you blog with the experience of getting the necessary licensing from the FCC.
  • Aquabat [banned]Aquabat [banned] Inactive Imported Users Posts: 299
    come up with a cool slogan!!!!!

icon_eek.gif
    i herd u leik mudkips lol
  • druid318druid318 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The blog might be a good place to start , you might get some people who know things to contribute and help you along the right path from the start.
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    if you can get a atleast 10 billion dollars (well, 5 billion would be enough to get it, but apple is willing to pay up to 9b) going by early next year, you might be able to buy access to the 700Mhz range that the FCC is auctioning off. Google and apple are both looking at it.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    if you can get a atleast 10 billion dollars (well, 5 billion would be enough to get it, but apple is willing to pay up to 9b) going by early next year, you might be able to buy access to the 700Mhz range that the FCC is auctioning off. Google and apple are both looking at it.

Based on what you wrote I don't believe you have any insight into the very basics of entruprunership [or its history] unless you clarify. So I can't judge your position unless I know your position.

First, I said it would be something for myself and friends. This is an experiment and not a plan.

Second, please review corporate history of Google, Dell, YouTube, Microsoft, Apple, MySpace, Napster, HP, IBM and I can go on and on. None started with 10 billion dollars. They all started small, just as hobby and fun [something I plan to do].

I have no plan to judge the end before I even see the beggining.
  • larkspurlarkspur Member Posts: 235
    and in so many words......

binarysoul - Go get it, that would be cool as all get out!!

good luck to you!!

let us know were you set up your blog.
    just trying to keep it all in perspective!
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    binarysoul wrote:
    Darthn3ss wrote:

Based on what you wrote I don't believe you have any insight into the very basics of entruprunership [or its history] unless you clarify. So I can't judge your position unless I know your position.

First, I said it would be something for myself and friends. This is an experiment and not a plan.

Second, please review corporate history of Google, Dell, YouTube, Microsoft, Apple, MySpace, Napster, HP, IBM and I can go on and on. None started with 10 billion dollars. They all started small, just as hobby and fun [something I plan to do].

I have no plan to judge the end before I even see the beggining.
    failboat.jpg
    Internet is serious business, eh?

My post was a joke.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Aquabat [banned]Aquabat [banned] Inactive Imported Users Posts: 299
    Based on what you wrote I don't believe you have any insight into the very basics of entruprunership

what is entruprunership? o, you mean entreprunership.
    i herd u leik mudkips lol
    I don't have any insight in 'spilleng' things 'korrectly'! I only have insight in entruprunership :)
  • druid318druid318 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    Umm, you went to MIT? Im disappointed.
    Umm, you went to MIT? Im disappointed.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Boyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the proof I can't "spill korrectly". That was MIS mis-spelled MIT. And I just "korrected" it :) This is absolutely hillarious. Made my day :)

Thanks for the catch seuss_ssues so I could correct it!
  • seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    lol no problem

No disrespect, I thought it meant you had a business degree from MIT.