New to CCVP, looking for some advice

I'm looking for some advice about getting my CCVP.

How releavent is the material in real-world and production envrionments? Are there any pre-requistes such as CCNA. Second, can I pass the exam without setting up a lab. Given that this is a Cisco certification, is the knowledge transferable to other VoIP standards. How would you rate the exam/material complexity?

Finally, show me the money icon_lol.gif Is it high in demand?

Comments

• dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The CCNA is a prerequsite to earning a CCVP, but you don't need it to begin your studies. Most of the protocols and technologies will apply to any VoIP system, but there is a lot of information that is specific to Cisco. Like most things Cisco has their own way of doing things, sometimes because they developed protocols and applications before there was a standard.

I don't know that it is very practical to study for the exams without access to some type of lab. You don't need the latest and greatest but you will need access to some equipment. If you don't want to put one together, you should consider renting rack time, many CCIE voice rack vendors are available. I prefer having the equipment available when I want it, so I think it's worth the investment to pick up some equipment, even if you resell it when you're done.

As far as the money goes, it's good. Obviously a salary will be dependant on the cert, but more importantly the experience. VoIP is hot, in my area there are many job openings for voice professionals, but not everyone is looking for Cisco so try to learn how other vendors do the same things.

I would say the QoS exam was the most difficult Cisco exam I have taken (aside from the R&S lab). I didn't find the other exams to be too difficult, but there are a lot of new terms and telecom theory in there that can take some time getting down.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • DaPunnisherDaPunnisher Member Posts: 108
    I just completed CCVP. I updated and posted my Resume on the job boards and since then my phone has been ringing off the hook! My salary has also jumped 33%! W00t!
  • hendychowhendychow Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    DaPunnisher,

Could you share your experience about passing your CCVP ?

Do you work in a voice over ip company before passing CCVP or you start from zero without basic knowledge ?

Thank You

Marius
    David
  • GregDGregD Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    binarysoul wrote:
    I'm looking for some advice about getting my CCVP.

How releavent is the material in real-world and production envrionments? Are there any pre-requistes such as CCNA. Second, can I pass the exam without setting up a lab. Given that this is a Cisco certification, is the knowledge transferable to other VoIP standards. How would you rate the exam/material complexity?

Finally, show me the money icon_lol.gif Is it high in demand?
    You'll really want practical experience on any professional level cisco cert. NP, VP, SP, whatever.

That being said, Voice and Security are two of the biggest growing fields in the IT industry. Both are very in demand right now, and this isn't likely to stop in the near future.

As for the pay - it'll depend on the area, but the demand for people with expertise in VOIP is very high, and the supply is quite low.
    CCNA - Complete
    CCNP - BCMSN, ONT Complete.

Up Next - ISCW, BSCI
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I just completed CCVP.
    Contratulations! icon_thumright.gif
    I updated and posted my Resume on the job boards and since then my phone has been ringing off the hook! My salary has also jumped 33%! W00t!
    I just quoted this part for the people who just jump to the last post in an updated thread -- this should give them a reason go back and see if they missed anything else this good in this thread :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!