Bootcamps

rwarrinrwarrin Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Can anyone please suggest a good MCSA/MCSE bootcamp? I was informed by my boss that if I get these certs then I get a promo, and I have a goal to get it by the end of the year. Any suggestions on a good, trustworthy bootcamp would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

Ricky W.
I think, therefore I am, or am I?

Comments

• CorySCoryS Member Posts: 208
    well before the choir comes in and says how bootcamps are pretty much like braindumps, as long as you have a few years of decent IT background on these subjects and good ability to learn at a fast pace, I have heard good things about

http://www.trainingcamp.com/

... coming from a different professionally moderated forum with over a million members.

Again this is a style of learning that isnt for the faint at heart, expect to be pounded with stuff and put in over 16-20hr days.
    MCSE tests left: 294, 297 |
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Any reason you cannot simply obtain a few books and take the exams on your own? Bootcamps, I'm personally not a fan as they cost a lot of money and tend to be geared toward people looking for a review...not true study (mostly due to the time restraints).

If you're ready for a bootcamp, I'd look at getting the MSPress series of books, Sybex or Meyer books (passport series for review).

Otherwise, CBTNuggets and Trainsignal have excellent materials if you prefer an audio tutorial of the material.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • rwarrinrwarrin Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well, I have about 7 years in IT, never had to get a cert for any of my jobs, but due to a recent restructure in our Org, certs are required for moving ahead, its not that I dont know the job that I am doing, but more of an issue of us having to know the deeper side of Server 03' and XP. People have their own reasons for doing things.

I have tried the new horizons route, and after 2 failed tests, and finally passing it, I came to the hard realization that these tests, for the most part, arent based on real world experiences, but more on how Microsoft says things should be done. Which is fine, however, I would prefer to spend the money, and since I will be reimbursed, its nothing off my plate. And if its a requirement to get promoted, but more importantly, something that I can use in my future, then I am willing to put in the hours.

I dont have months on top of months to spend in classes as I am a single parent, and cant just attend classes at night. Also, I am not one with self teaching, a book cant answer questions that I may have, and/or it cant show me something that I may be having an issue with.

I know people have their opinions on things, and everyone is entitled to that, but flaming people for choosing a road that one may feel they are above, is a waste of time. Thank you for the suggestion however. :)
    I think, therefore I am, or am I?
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    rwarrin wrote:
    I know people have their opinions on things, and everyone is entitled to that, but flaming people for choosing a road that one may feel they are above, is a waste of time. Thank you for the suggestion however. :)

I'm sorry we don't have more boot camp suggestions for you, but I'm wondering what exactly you think was a flame? I saw an alternative suggestion from someone trying to be helpful, but no flame.

New Horizons is indeed a boot camp, so if that didn't work for you I'm not sure what you're looking for unless you just mean as a company they didn't impress you. I have had mixed success with NH, depending on the instructor. Are you looking for a Microsoft, Cisco or other type of class? I remember seeing some IT Boot Camps advertised in TechNet magazine but don't know if they are any good. Have you looked in your area for IT Training? There are lots of small privately owned training centers around. Some community colleges run short 6 week classes as well, but those are mostly night classes.
    All things are possible, only believe.