endorsement

MikePalmerMikePalmer Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just got an e-mail that I passed the CISSP, honestly after taking it at best I thought my chances were 50/50

As most people reading this know, I have to get my endorcement form signed. I don't know any CISSP that would be able to sign my form, I've read on other forms that ISC2 accepts endorcement from imediate managers. Any senior level people at my company that would have a high enough title to sign it, wouldn't know me from a whole in the wall.

I spoke to my manager and am going to see in person later this week, since we work at different sites, he said he'd need to read the info and talk to HR.

What are my options.

Mike

Comments

• keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You really don't have many.

1. Do you know anybody else in the security industry that's well respected? If so they might be able to endorse you.

2. The immediate supervisor or manager DOES NOT have to be a current manager or supervisor of yours. It can be one you worked for in the past. The whole point is someone who can attest to your security experience. We're basically looking for validation of what you state in your experience statement.

3. Did you know about the endorsement requirement before you took the exam? Honestly I probably would've worked this all out before attempting the exam. However, you can still accept being an ISC2 associate. The endorsement is only required if you actually seek the CISSP certification.

How long have you been involved in IT Security and how long have you been preparing for the CISSP?
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    This is yet another excellent reason to join a professional InfoSec organization before attempting certification. By being a dues-paying, meeting-attending member of ISSA, IIA, ISACA, etc. you can gain contact with people who can sponsor and endorse you.
  • seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    I know this is somewhat losing sight of the intended topic but....

Jd was mentioning joining infosec organizations. I recently applied for and was accepted to my states chapter of infragard. Are any of the other board members members of infragard and if so what has been the biggest benefit?

I joined to hopefully network with other sec minded individuals and hopefully avoid situations similar to what the threadstarter is in.
  • MikePalmerMikePalmer Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Kreatron,

1. Do you know anybody else in the security industry that's well respected? If so they might be able to endorse you.

There is one other person that I would be able to contact, given the situation.

2. The immediate supervisor or manager DOES NOT have to be a current manager or supervisor of yours. It can be one you worked for in the past. The whole point is someone who can attest to your security experience. We're basically looking for validation of what you state in your experience statement.

I've had the same manger for almost 9 years, my role has changed several times do to several re-orgs at my company, I'm one of th few people who has not got moved to a new manager in the last 2 years. Though I did some IT security work for my former employee I've lost all contact with my former manager partially due to some unethitcal things he did.

3. Did you know about the endorsement requirement before you took the exam? Honestly I probably would've worked this all out before attempting the exam. However, you can still accept being an ISC2 associate. The endorsement is only required if you actually seek the CISSP certification.

Yes I knew about the endorsement before taking the exam, my manager in the past has been very good about signing off on things

How long have you been involved in IT Security and how long have you been preparing for the CISSP?

I've been involved in IT security for about 5 years. I spent about 3 months preparing, for the CISSP exam, I would have like to have given my self more time but due to the changes in requirements I would not qualify after 10/01.
  • IonCannonIonCannon Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Where are you located??