Options

Question about routing updates

MiekMiek Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I'm studying for my CCNA and started thinking about routing updates.
With the show ip route command you can see the routing table of your router.

C indicates directly connected, R indicates RIP.

When a routing update is send, are only the routing protocol table entries send to the neighbors or also the connected entries?

I was just wondering about it cause after the router rip command, you're going to specify wich networks are connected to the routers interfaces but if the directly connected entries in the routing table are send with the updates, what's the purpose of the network command?

Hope that anyone can help me with this one.

Greets ;)

Nina

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    You kind of answered the first question with the second. :)
    Ninake wrote:
    When a routing update is send, are only the routing protocol table entries send to the neighbors or also the connected entries?
    Those directly connected entries that are added to the routing protocol's routing process using the network command are send to neighbors.
    Ninake wrote:
    I was just wondering about it cause after the router rip command, you're going to specify wich networks are connected to the routers interfaces but if the directly connected entries in the routing table are send with the updates, what's the purpose of the network command?
    If you don't specify it using the network command, it won't be included in RIP updates, but will be part of its local routing table.