What is the hardest topic to study for CCNA?

WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
Here's a poll mainly to see on which topics we should focus in our practice exams and TechNotes. The options correspond pretty much with the exam objectives.

Johan
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• SoCo4FunSoCo4Fun Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Personally I think the WAN technologies are the most difficult. For some reason they just dont click with me.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    the majority seems to agree with you and so do I, besides the related commands and media, the most of the "WAN protocols" require you to memorize a lot of facts, terms and abbreviations
    On account of the results in the poll I will try hard to write something really good and useful for our upcoming WAN TechNotes :) I'm currently working one about ISDN, after that I'll write one about Frame Relay followed by the remaining WAN topics such as HDLC, PPP etc.
  • SoCo4FunSoCo4Fun Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That would be great to have a really good write up on WAN technologies. Ive read the chapter in my Sybex book and it just doesnt sink in.
  • mishoomishoo Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hiye

is subnetting is a part of ccna paper icon_confused.gif:

can any one have the outline for the paper ..

mishal
  • AnimeFrusionSmoothieAnimeFrusionSmoothie Member Posts: 22 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hmm... WAN wasn't a problem for me.. Routing Protocols i got a 33% on icon_sad.gif
    PC Modding at it best -
    Xoxide.com, Directron.com, frozenpc.com, frozencpu.com
  • ss1020ss1020 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you are still studying, make sure you know the "reliability" of a routing protocol, otherwise known as Administrative Distance.
    Ranked by trustworthiness. The lower the AD, the better.
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It is a combination of routing and WAN...
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • bertbloggsbertbloggs Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've just voted for LAN, and I'm in the 1%.
    Why ?
    I find all that novell/ipx/token-ring stuff does not fit in to any pattern
    I agree that if you know nothing about both LAN and WAN they both are as hard to learn. But it is much easier to get hands-on with LAN (home lab for example) than WAN technologies.
    Btw... Novell/IPX and Token Ring are topics that you won't find on the current CCNA exams...
  • HawaiianHawaiian Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hardest part for me has been understanding subnetting and supernetting
  • SartanSartan Inactive Imported Users Posts: 152
    There are so many conventions and alternate wordings for the same thing in CCNA...
    successor route.. feasible successor route.. hop count hop distance administrative distance cost delay bandwidth speed link speed areas blah ARG!!
    my advice, don't do eigrp right after you study ospf. my mind is exploding!
    Network Tech student, actively learning Windows 2000, Linux, Cisco, Cabling & Internet Security.
  • NarcissaNarcissa Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hawaiian wrote:

yeah, i think that has to be the most annoying ( but not hardest ) part of the CCNA to understand. took me forever to get it.. and hrm, i think ive forgotton by now. but.. i dont see why its not up there, :P
  • viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hawaiian wrote:

I have to agree with Hawaiian. I was having minor problems with WAN Technologies, but it's now starting to sink in. It would be nice to see some material here on subnetting. icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif That's the only thing that has been keeping me from hitting the CCNA exam. For some reason it's not sinking in as fast as I would like it too. crash.gifcrash.gificon_scratch.gificon_scratch.gificon_study.gificon_study.gif
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • smooth7905smooth7905 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    subnetting, supernetting, and route sumarization are not that difficult to understand. When you finally understand the concept its like riding a bike you should never forget. Plus i had quite a few questions involving subnetting and one of my router sim questions had subbnetting in it.
  • DaPunnisherDaPunnisher Member Posts: 108
    Hawaiian wrote:

true that!
  • DaPunnisherDaPunnisher Member Posts: 108
    viper75 wrote:

I have to agree with Hawaiian. I was having minor problems with WAN Technologies, but it's now starting to sink in. It would be nice to see some material here on subnetting.

Have you looked at http://www.learntosubnet.com/?
  • kbayskbays Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    As for as Subnetting goes I happened to have an excellent insructor at school. So that wasnt hard.. Bur extended ACLs are killing me. There are so many different was to creat them.. Kbays
  • Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    Most of the students I deal with on a daily basis, have more problems with ACLs.
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • swtlrichswtlrich Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Subnetting Class C is pretty easy, but I have difficulty keeping focused when subnetting Class B or A, remembering every subnet zero allowed.
  • viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I HATE WAN Technologies!!! crash.gifcrash.gifcrash.gificon_scratch.gificon_study.gif
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    Subnetting I don't have a big problem with until it gets into route summarization and some aspects of VLSM still have my head reeling. Other than that, just remember proper syntax on an ACL can be a bear and a half if you're not used to implementing them. Fortunetly, WAN technologies don't bug me that much, not after 3 years of having to support them for an ISP.
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
  • TheCiscoKidTheCiscoKid Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would agree with the ACLs, that was by far the worst section of Cisco II. Wildcardmasks and deny any any permit any any ........confusing.

Subnetting for me was easy to learn, if you convert the IP to binary and go from there it is really not that hard. I wrote a great paper on it last year and I could send it to anyone who needs some extra help.
  • KMAN24KMAN24 Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Correct me if I am wrong.....Athough I am anxious to be a high level Cisco Admin, my Cisco teach quoted the following. "You will not be responsible for Supernetting or Route Summarization on the exam. Is she wrong ?

As far as the other topic is concerned, I agree that the WAN technolgies are the hardest to get down. ISDN with all the A, TA NT etc........Frame with all the LMI, DLCI, PVC etc. I am really stressed with how much time to put forth in my studies of WAN technolgies for this CCNA exam.
  • LongbowLongbow Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    For me ACL's are the worst. I won't take the test (again) until I get it down.

As for subneting - subneting isn't difficult once you get it. But for the test you have to be quick. I think that if you are at the point were it doesn't come automatically (you should be able to do it in your head) you are going to run into trouble on the test time wise.
  • weekendweekend Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    For me I think it's WAN protocol
    Mess with the best and die like a rest
    tieungaogiangho.jpg
  • PaddingtonPaddington Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    WAN seems to be the hardest to grab for me aswell.
    Im in a Cisco academy class atm taking the final chapter tests in 2 days.
    Paddington.jpg
  • kadshahkadshah Member Posts: 388 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I finaly mastered sunnetting Clas B & C but i ocassionally make mistakes
    with Class A. I get so frustrated from having read Todd's explanation on
    subnetting Class A for the 10th time and still not getting it. Drives me to drink. icon_evil.gif
  • UndertowUndertow Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Why is subnetting absent from the list??
    It can be considered part of Router protocols (IP), but you are right, it should have been in the list as a separate topic.