Options

Help me in choosing the networking course

mohamed81mohamed81 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Professionals

Am a post graduate in Physics and i would like to do a course in networking. Am in dilemma in

choosing the certification (MCSA/MCSE/CCNA/etc.). icon_confused.gif I have no knowledge about networking.

Please throw light on the following:

1. Which certification will fetch me a job (am planning to visit Dubai for employment in 4
months)?

2. Whether CCNA is for Linux platforms only? Also, if possible, please distinguish MCSE and
CCNA.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    CCNA is for routing and switching (Cisco Certified Network Associate) and MCSA\MCSE is for microsoft systems (Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator\Engineer). If you don't have any IT experience it is highly unlikely you will finish a MCSA\MCSE in four months. The CCNA is possible to finish in four months, but you are not likely to get a job working with routers and switches with no IT experience regardless of the certification you have. I would suggest you look into starting with a microsoft client exam and go from there. You could also start with the A+ and N+ which will also count for the elective on your MCSA. Certifications are not a key to a job especially if you have zero experience.

Also CCNA has nothing to do with Linux......
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    icon_rolleyes.gif
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Are you looking for a job that will be inline with you post grad work in physics or do you just want a job in computers?

If you just looking for a job, the helpdesk support / system admin route would be the best way to go, because there are more of those types of jobs then the others. That path would normally be the A+ -> Net+ -> MCDST -> MCSA -> MCSE

If you are looking for something that might involve you work in physics, you may want to go the Cisco route. That will put you closer to the physical layer of networking were the theories you should have covered in undergrad phsyics should come in handy.

If you are interested in certifications in Linux, you should look into the Linux+, LPI, Redhat, etc.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    also, no certification will "fetch" you a job, you're at least going to have to look for one yourself.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    mrjmrj Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Like said, especially with your lack of knowledge, a certification won't cause a job to fall into your lap. Not even remotely.

Dubai is full of CCIE and JCIE ex-pats, and citizens, good luck.
  • Options
    IllusionkingIllusionking Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    As stated by nearly everyone above just having a certification isn't going to get you to the point where jobs fall into your lap.

The route I would suggest (not the path I've taken) would be:
    A+
    Network+

That will establish all the network fundamentals.

THAN:

CCNA for more in depth knowledge of networking, layering, subnetting and so on.
    MCSE starting with 70-270
    70-290
    70-291

Thank whatever else you feel like taking.

This will not by any means be a quick solution to the job hunt, especially if you want to understand everything that you will be studying. It's going to be alot of lab work and you will probably be asked several scenarios that would pertain to your job, so just having the certifications based on book knowledge won't do you a whole lot of good.
    MCP/MCSA/MCSE
    Done: 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70,293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299,
    A.S. Electronic Engineering
    A.S. CIS
    A.S. Social/Behavioral Sciences
    Studying
    CCNA