Distributed CPU processing

hettyhetty Member Posts: 394
Is it possible to spread the processing power of like 10 PCs to a particular application? such as 3d rendering

Free or $$, does anybody know how to do it?

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Try to google for parallel+computing+linux. You can't do it with ordinary Windows OS.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • hettyhetty Member Posts: 394
    I found stuff about a Beowulf cluster and openMosix, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    If you can get a bunch of the original Microsoft XBox units you can cluster them using Linux. Each box is a P3-500, and that's decent processing power for a cluster. The same can be done with a bunch of old P3 and P4 computers that businesses typically throw in the trash. You major problem will be space and power consumption versus work output.

XBOX Linux Cluster
    The AnandTech Linux XBOX PC Experiment

And you can cluster multiple VMWare instances on the same or different machines too.
  • hettyhetty Member Posts: 394
    Thanks that AnandTech article was an interesting read.
    JDMurray wrote:
    The same can be done with a bunch of old P3 and P4 computers that businesses typically throw in the trash. .

JD- Where are these businesses that are throwing away P-4's? :o
    I am ready to get my snorkel and do some dumpster diving! icon_lol.gif
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    sprkymrk wrote:
    JD- Where are these businesses that are throwing away P-4's? :o
    I am ready to get my snorkel and do some dumpster diving! icon_lol.gif
    The local recycling place near me takes electronics in addition to household wastes (e.g., paint, cleaners, detergent, etc.). Whenever I go over to drop something off, there are always piles of monitors, printers, and computers. I always see a LOT of Dell Pentium 2, 3, and 4 boxes. There are also businesses that specifically take "eWaste" for recycling, refurbishing, or disposal, which is mostly computers, printers, and monitors. We're drowning in this e-stuff here in Southern California.
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    I actually work for a company that "recycles" computers for schools, and we get skids full of dell GX260s which are P4 2.53/512ddr/40gig with 17in LCDs that companies automatically replace every 2 years. Not to mention all the servers that get donated *drool*
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    i'll take a few of those :D
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    i'll take a few of those :D

Get in line... icon_lol.gif