Options

Riser Cards ??

CopperFrogCopperFrog Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
I noticed that in the objectives for the Core exam you must know what a Riser card is. Can anyone tell me what is the purpose for this card and how it would relate to the exam??

Thanks a lot
Friends will help you move, best friends will help you move a body

Comments

• Options
    SartanSartan Inactive Imported Users Posts: 152
    On some of the smaller cases (Compaq specficially), there was not enough physical room inside for expansion cards, they were simply too narrow.
    A single expansion board, or daughter board, was placed perpendicular to the motherboard, and expansion cards plugged in that:
    |----------
         |----------
         |----------
    --------------------------------

Network Tech student, actively learning Windows 2000, Linux, Cisco, Cabling & Internet Security.
  • Options
    CopperFrogCopperFrog Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ahhh, Thanks a lot I didn't know that. My text book didn't cover it. icon_lol.gif
    Friends will help you move, best friends will help you move a body
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Riser card is an expansion card that fits a PCI slot(or even ISA I guess)
    which adds more expansion slots, eg., if you only have one PCI slot left on your MB, you can put in a riser card and add 2 or 3 more slots for additional expansion cards.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    DaPunnisherDaPunnisher Member Posts: 108
    AMR: the Audio Modem Riser specification was developed by Intel to eliminate legacy support for audio and modem functions on motherboards. This specification allows for designs without I/O operations for the riser card or daughterboard. The slot is brown in color and has the dimensions of 1 13/16 inches in length by ¾ inches wide. This expansion slot is not commonly seen as newer technology is moving away from modems to broadband communications.

CNR: the Communications Network Riser is similar to the AMR. The specification provides interfaces to support multi-channel audio, V.90 analog modem, telephone line-based home networking, 10/100 Ethernet-based networking, as well as expandability for future technologies.
  • Options
    arellanes79arellanes79 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Riser card: expansion slots that are mounted on a bus riser card that plugs into the motherboard. In most designs, expansion cards plug sideways into the riser card. It works on LPX, ATX and NLX form factors
    IP150-1.jpg

There are three flavors I guess ISA, 32 and 64 bit PCI, so with it you can have more expansion slots
    EVERYTHING HAS BEEN FIGURED OUT EXCEPT HOW TO LIVE. *JEAN PAUL SARTRE*
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Wow! Superior screen shoe, arellanes79. Excellent example.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki