Which MCSE path is better for me?

davidvoyagedavidvoyage Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi, I'm planning to study for MCSE.

For the client section, I wonder if I should choose XP(270) or Vista(620)? I also see Vista in the elective section... Vista is newer, is that means I should do vista only instead of XP cuz I think XP will retire soon right?

Also in another section, I can choose either (297) or (29icon_cool.gif. Which one is more useful? or popular in demand?

Of course, even though I'm aiming for MCSE. I want to become MCSA and MCP in the mid-way. So I need to make sure the path will satisfy all MCP, MCSA and MCSE.

Thanks.

Comments

• ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    XP v. Vista - There is no retirement date announced for the XP exam. The 2000 Pro (210) exam is going to retire in March '08. Most companies will be using XP for a while, but Vista will start to appear. Which client are you more familiar with?

297 v. 298 - Some people seem to prefer 297 because it may be easier because of the overlap between it and 293/294. If you are thinking about going for the MCSE:Sec, you may want to take the 298, so you do not have to take an extra exam.

Passing 270 or 290 will get you the MCP. Vista (620) will get you the MCTS: Vista. To complete the MCSA you need the client, 290, 291, and an elective.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • davidvoyagedavidvoyage Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ajs1976 wrote:
    XP v. Vista - There is no retirement date announced for the XP exam. The 2000 Pro (210) exam is going to retire in March '08. Most companies will be using XP for a while, but Vista will start to appear. Which client are you more familiar with?

I'm more familiar with Windows XP. Since I'm using it.
    ajs1976 wrote:
    297 v. 298 - Some people seem to prefer 297 because it may be easier because of the overlap between it and 293/294. If you are thinking about going for the MCSE:Sec, you may want to take the 298, so you do not have to take an extra exam.

Passing 270 or 290 will get you the MCP. Vista (620) will get you the MCTS: Vista. To complete the MCSA you need the client, 290, 291, and an elective.

I see. I just found out that 270 and 620 are both electives for MCSA.

hmm...since I'm more familiar with Windows XP, I think I may take 270 first and decide if I should take vista later...

Thx for your reply ;)