Passport Series Security+ Book

RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
Written by Trevor Kay this book is a very good read and seesm to cover the subject satisfactorily. While not as in-depth as others it would be very useful as a second reference volume leading up to taking the exam.
The Passport format may not suit every reader, but can be handy with Exam Tips (points out critical topics you are likely to be tested on), Local Lingo, (describes terms in an easily understood way), Travel Advisory (which warms of common pitfalls and misconceptions and CheckPoint (a summation of the objectives and some sample questions).

As I will be taking the exam tomorrow I will be able to comment further if there appears to be any deficiencies, but the CD that accompanies the book has 2 practice exams of 65 questions each and they are a lot more difficult that the ones at the end of each chapter. The ExamWeb software allows for Simulated Exam with no answers or explainations or Practice Exam which has both.
www.supercross.com
FIM website of the year 2007

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Good luck tomorrow on the exam RussS!
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    icon_mad.gif I missed it by 20 points.
    Still way to angry to think properly even the following day. I had some very esoteric questions that put me out of kilter for the rest of the exam. They were on items that were covered in what I considered reasonable detail by the various publications I had used, but it appears that Comptia wants Sec+ to be something difficult to obtain. I was also not very comfortable with the style of many of the questions - too subjective.

I knew they had raised the bar, but it appears that they have bypassed at least a couple rungs icon_cry.gif

Back to my MCPs now and I will revisit this exam later when there is more study material available that covers things in more detail. Hopefully the Sybex book that Webmaster is reviewing will do the trick.
    www.supercross.com
  • CrossCross Member Posts: 234
    Sorry to hear of your slight edge on the score. You'll get back to it strong. Have fun on MS now. icon_wink.gif
    I'll change highways at the crossroads, I'm going only where I desire.

http://www.darkroads.com
    Cheers icon_smile.gif

I still should have passed though. The screwy questions would have only cost me maybe 10%, but I let them get inside my head. NOT something I recommend when you are facing 100 questions in 90 minutes
    www.supercross.com
  • CrossCross Member Posts: 234
    Next time you take an exam. Take a soft drink or a cup of coffee into the exam. Use it as a stimulant to relax and unnerve you. You ask for the favor, and they usually allow it.

Best to you
    I'll change highways at the crossroads, I'm going only where I desire.

http://www.darkroads.com
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Sorry to hear that RussS icon_sad.gif

I received a message today the book is on its way, I'm going to start reading it as soon as it comes in, I want to give the exam a try myself in a couple or weeks to a month and hope to finish the review around the same time... not looking forward to the CompTIA-wording-type of questions though...
    I have the Sybex boox coming too Webmaster - If if doesn't cover the port ranges satisfactorily I will have to investigate further and will let you know. A friend who is CISSP reckons that the CompTia exam must be getting to that level if it covers ports outside of the "Well Known" port range.
    www.supercross.com
  • bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    Cross wrote:
    Next time you take an exam. Take a soft drink or a cup of coffee into the exam. Use it as a stimulant to relax and unnerve you. You ask for the favor, and they usually allow it.

if i drank some coffee or coke in the exam centre i would be likely to thump somebody if i failed ;)
    A+ Moderator
    My test centre is where I study, so I always take my big sipper cup with a good blend in it :) Very calming usually - except when one confronts questions on things you have no idea about icon_evil.gif
    www.supercross.com
  • vjaarsvmvjaarsvm Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sorry 'bout that man,
    "unfortunately" the exam always goes a bit better if you start if of on a good foot!

One thing I haven't heard being made mention off is the chapter on "Wireless"?

How big an emphasis to they put on Wi-Fi ??? icon_eek.gif

Regards,
    Maritz
    Very big - WiFi, its transmission methods and related encryption is very important to know.
    The difference between symmetric and asymmetric methods of encryption is also pretty big - that and knowing the various types of encryption that fit each method.
    There is a lot of basic network+ type stuff in there - OSI layer, 802 specs, cabling, port numbers (especially any number that can pass encrypted traffic).

I have contacted CompTia and formally requested a review of the question pool with emphasis on removing the "considered" and "thought to be" and replacing those phrases with definitive questions. I am not sure if it will help those in the future, but I would really hate to see this exam consider a joke because of the style and type of questions asked.
    www.supercross.com
  • vjaarsvmvjaarsvm Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah, thought so...the way they hammered on it in the study material!

Was finalising my preparations to write on Thursday...BUT after all this talk I'm considering "maybe" moving the date till after the weekend. icon_confused.gif

Only hope the folks @ Comptia's going to take your request seriously.

I'm sure they'll keep an open mind...

All the best!
    Hey there dood

Even with the oddball questions you should pass if you have done you homework. Just remember to not let anything throw you and keep your head in the right area. It is a tough exam Comptia wise, but not unpassable - as many who have recently passed will attest.
    www.supercross.com