just failed

tvontvon Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
a score in the low 500's. what a farce... i'm an IT professional with years of network experience under my belt. I just passed a networking course at the Harvard extension school with a very high grade. Yet i missed this. Waaay too many Novell (who uses this anymore?) and Wireless questions (ok people actually use this but it was way over emphasized).

My question.. do IT managers even care about this cert? and secondly, do they offer any sort of re-taking discount? I simply cannot afford to be taking tests on obscure technology's.

Comments

• boyles23boyles23 Member Posts: 130
    I assume that you didn't read a book for the certification but just went and took it. The network + covers a broad range of topics, so you have to be ready for about any type of question. Network + is an entry level cert and it matters to some and doesn't to others, so it is hard to say who cares about it. Most people use it as a stepping stone for learning basic network technologies and as a kinda stepping stone for the CCNA.

As for Novell, I can say that in our town there is one hospital here that has a strictly Novell network! So someone uses it. :)

My $.02.

:D
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    just be glad you didnt get hit with appletalk either (I did). It is quite a broad exam. Just study up on Novell and you should be fine.

Net+, like boyles23 said, its an entry level, stepping stone, and foundation cert. Not sure about the discount on comptia, but MS has thier "second shot" promo.

either way, welcome and good luck in the future!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    boyles23 wrote:
    As for Novell, I can say that in our town there is one hospital here that has a strictly Novell network! So someone uses it.

I know there a few places that use Novell, same with appletalk. I know of a few school districts that have older and newer Mac's and use that protocol for file sharing and printing.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Aquabat [banned]Aquabat [banned] Inactive Imported Users Posts: 299
    woah man chill, this is entry level bro
    i herd u leik mudkips lol
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Network+? I don't want to talk down at this cert or offend anyone, but I wish this is something someone would have told me.

I started with the CompTIA lines of test and I seriously regret it. I earned my A+ and Net+. Consider the demand for entry level certs like MCP/MCSA, CCNA and LPIC-1. Also look at the big picture, CCNA leads to CCNP, MCSA >> MCSE, LPIC-1>>LPIC-2.

Why would/did I bother with a cert in no demand that will require almost as much time as other more RELEVANT certifications with in demand technologies? (actually I am finding the MCP XP 70-270 to be MUCH easier than net+) N+ also provides little to no growth potential for better certs down the road.

A+ at least got me my job at Geek Squad, I'll give that to CompTIA. But Network+ is months of wasted time setting up Novell, MacOS, Win95/NT networks. If I had invested that same time into XP/2003 I'd be MCSE already.

I wasn't thinking about this when I decided on my CompTIA path, but think about the demand for a cert, shoot to monster.com and search for CCNA or MCSA? What do you find? Now do a search for net+ and compare. I think the choice is clear.
    -Daniel
  • matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
    Of course, you can pair up N+ and A+ to exempt you from an exam on your MCSA path. ;)
    From Security+ book by Sybex:
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."
  • sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    tvon wrote:
    My question.. do IT managers even care about this cert?

CompTIA certifications are pretty useless as far as advancing your career. Go on any online job site and you'll notice that Cisco and MS certs are more in demand. CompTIA does, however, offer a good introduction to basic concepts which can help you learn more advanced material at a faster rate. I regret wasting time with CompTIA though. I should have started with Cisco right from the beginning.

These exams arn't meant to trick you. They're basic in design. Re-read your material and give it another go.
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I agree with some of the opinions here. CompTIA certs are not very useful for someone with "years of network experience." I was the same way and just skipped over the N+. In my opinion CompTIA takes advantage of people new to the industry by overcharging for their entry level exams. You have to pay more for a CompTIA exam than a Cisco one. The only way I would touch the CompTIA exams is if they were under $100. Just my opinion though and I don't have any CompTIA certs so there might be some other benifit of their certs I am unaware of.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Aquabat [banned]Aquabat [banned] Inactive Imported Users Posts: 299
    also comptia is an open standard. mabye people don't like cisco systems or juniper
    i herd u leik mudkips lol
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    tvon wrote:
    a score in the low 500's. what a farce... i'm an IT professional with years of network experience under my belt. I just passed a networking course at the Harvard extension school with a very high grade. Yet i missed this. Waaay too many Novell (who uses this anymore?) and Wireless questions (ok people actually use this but it was way over emphasized).

My question.. do IT managers even care about this cert? and secondly, do they offer any sort of re-taking discount? I simply cannot afford to be taking tests on obscure technology's.

Sorry to hear you didn't pass your with your first attempt, though you are not the first and won't be the last to fail a cert exam.

While the exams are targeted towards candidates with Experience...what sort of materials did you use to prepare for the exam?
    At a minimum I would hope you had downloaded to objectives? Overconfidence can be a problem when taking any exam especially the entry-level type exams. I hear comments similar to yours too frequently on the A+ exams.

The exams are easy if you understand the material and.....just don't think to hard about the answer. Here is where books by Meyers and Sybex will be helpful. If you think the objectives look easy, then consider using the Passport book or ExamCram2 books to prepare.

And on this site we have a GREAT free .pdf technotes of the NET+ exam. A number of members reported that this study guide has helped them prepare.

There are no discounts for 're-takes'. Microsoft is offering a second shot, but that's MS and something you'd need to sign up for BEFORE the exam.

You may consider a voucher from http://www.getcertify4less.com/techexams.asp?REFID={18567D5A-E590-4C16-831F-A9A584E52DD4}

As far as what IT Managers think...Degrees, certifications or other credentials may get you in the door. If you are proficient in your field...a cert may or may not matter. As to whether or not you should retake the NET+, it depends. As mentioned A+ & NET+ count as an elective on MCSA/E certs. If you have other networking certs that are 'higher' or non-vendor neutral, then you may wish to skip it. Just don't quit because you failed once. CompTIA exams are some of the most straightforward exams you'll run into. Choice is yours.

Best wishes
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Daniel333 wrote:
    Network+? I don't want to talk down at this cert or offend anyone, but I wish this is something someone would have told me.

I started with the CompTIA lines of test and I seriously regret it. I earned my A+ and Net+. Consider the demand for entry level certs like MCP/MCSA, CCNA and LPIC-1 . Also look at the big picture, CCNA leads to CCNP, MCSA >> MCSE, LPIC-1>>LPIC-2.

Why would/did I bother with a cert in no demand that will require almost as much time as other more RELEVANT certifications with in demand technologies? (actually I am finding the MCP XP 70-270 to be MUCH easier than net+) N+ also provides little to no growth potential for better certs down the road.

A+ at least got me my job at Geek Squad, I'll give that to CompTIA. But Network+ is months of wasted time setting up Novell, MacOS, Win95/NT networks. If I had invested that same time into XP/2003 I'd be MCSE already.

I wasn't thinking about this when I decided on my CompTIA path, but think about the demand for a cert, shoot to monster.com and search for CCNA or MCSA? What do you find? Now do a search for net+ and compare. I think the choice is clear.

Im sorry, But I have to disagree with that statement in bold. I wouldn't consider MCSA (or CCNA for that matter) entry level certs. Any cert that requires 4+ exams and more than a few years experience should not be entry-level. I also wouldn't put them on par with Net+/A+ either seeming you need BOTH of those, plus three more exams to attain MCSA status.

Off subject, maybe. But that needed to be pointed out. However, I pretty much agree with the rest of it.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CompTIA certifications are pretty useless as far as advancing your career.

This isn't always true, I recently saw a job posting for a Network Engineer that wanted someone with A+ certfication and MCSE requried. Maybe this wasn't a true Network Engineer position as it seemed more like Systems Administration but still required A+ in the job description. A lot of employers have heard of it so they require/prefer it even if most IT pros find it unessecary if you have exprience. For that reason alone I think it is good to at least pick up A+ but that is just my opinion.
    You have to pay more for a CompTIA exam than a Cisco one.

But CompTIA certs are good for life.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • ilcram19ilcram19 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 206
    Network+ is months of wasted time setting up Novell, MacOS, Win95/NT networks. If I had invested that same time into XP/2003 I'd be MCSE already.

lol sure you would've, specially when u spent months on a simple test lol, like everybody said here those are entry level certs that will prepare you for the real stuff, i didnt have to do comptia, but the most i did 1 month peer test, now it just been a year that i stated collecting certification and not because i need them i want to fill up my wall with certs, degrees and awards it looks cool lol,
    i dont undestand why people just stop in Network+ oh because they are MCSE elective rite dhaa!!!!
    so u still need them for mcse
    If you stop getting better, you cease being good
    The CompTIA certifications are good for life, but in my opinion this brings down the value of the certification since you could just cram for the exam pass it and you're certified on that for life. The good thing about certs expiring is it helps motivate you to keep getting higher more advanced certs. I'm sure that was part of their plan!

Sorry didn't mean to highjack the thread with a CompTIA debate! icon_lol.gif
  • davidvoyagedavidvoyage Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm studying network+. And I must say it's VERY USEFUL to help me understanding the basic of networking, which is a very good stepping stone to more advance cert. like CCNA in the future.

HOWEVER, I may not take the network+ exam. Because no employer looks at this cert. But after I study Network+, I can put something like: "Knowledge of TCP/IP, basic networking etc. " in my resume....

So yeah, this is my opinion on this cert. What do you guys think?

On the other hand, I can see the requirement of A+ exam couple of times in those network related job....so I guess A+ is more useful than network+.
  • NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ya when I took the Net+ exam i was pretty disappointed and I wish I wouldn;t have spent so much time on it. It was really expensive and covered a lot of material that most people do not use like novell, appletalk, and cable standards. If you are entry level, you are not going to be choosing between 1000baseLX or 1000BaseSX cabling, I'm sorry. Then by the time you are at that point, you will have to go look it up again anyways.

I also agree that it being good for life is pointless. Everyone is effected by the "if you don't use it you lose it" fact. When I took the Net+ i was really unaware of the certification realm so I didn't realize it wasn't going to do me any good. Yes Net+ is great for beginners to have some kind of foundation, but I was beyond that when I took it. I guess just be aware of your skill set and what the test is requiring of you. Any certification shows willingness to learn and other resume building softskills.

If you are a network professional with years of experience, then I would have to think that you would know how to prepare for an entry level certification like Net+. The fact that you did not combined with the questions you are asking and the fact you are a professional yet you wasted your time on an entry level cert makes me wonder. Anyways next time work at it, and you will see positive results.

Also years of experience will always trump Net+. You taking net+ is a regression if you truly are expereinced. If you want your career to progress, then take upper level certs like MCSA or CCNP.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • flipsideflipside Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I believe that this topic is going against CompTIA Network+ certification. This is unfair. I admit that this certification is for someone who want to certify in the network field and is a beginner.
    To say that this is a waste of time is too much. Let's think what would say an CCIE about CCNA?.....

You said that you are an IT proffesional with years of experience and you have failed this exam. This kind of things happend. Learn from it and go forward.
  • NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It depends on your skill set. For some it may be a waste of time and for others it may not. I made the mistake of putting too much effort into it just for the exam to turn out simple. I just thought it would have been a bit more challenging. I wish I would have been putting my time into more challenging and reputable certs. But everyone has to start somewhere and everyone has different levels of learning. What I meant to say was that I regret putting so much time into it when it was doable with a light study. I overestimated the difficulty of the exam is what I am trying to say I guess.

But going back to the point of this whole post, overall the test is for entry level candidates. So I think that employers would like to see an entry level cert for an entry level position.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389
    I just obtained my CCNA certification, and I have a few months before I begin my CCNP. It's probably going to be six months or more before I finish it, and I was thinking of going after the Network+ certification for the simple fact of adding to my resume so an employer might give me extra consideration. Let's face it - a lot of headhunters know *squat* about certifications and what it took to get them; they just see that Joe over here has one more cert. than Billy Bob over there, and they give Joe the nod for an interview. I figure two is better than one; it just looks better on paper. I thought that it shouldn't be too hard to study for and pass at the point where I'm at.

What do you all think?
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949
    Personally I don't see a point in doing the N+ if you already have the CCNA unless you plan on using the N+ and A+ as an elective for an MCSA. Some HR and headhunters use a search for key words like certifications, but I still don't think the N+ is going to help you much but it won't hurt you at all either.
  • L8ShiftL8Shift Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If anyone plans to do IT in the DoD......

e.g. ...You will need at a minimal a CompTIA A+ or Network+ Cert....plus a CERT for the environment, you are working on...

http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/html/857001m.htm
    Page 64
    Dude, I Passed Dec. 2007 CISM Exam!

e.g. ...You will need at a minimal a CompTIA A+ or Network+ Cert....plus a CERT for the environment, you are working on...

Funny..... You must not know many people working for the DoD!!!!
  • mctoy2mctoy2 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I can understand everyones point on the N+ exam so here's my 2 cents.
    I took the N+ exam for 3 reasons:
    1. I had to take a Networking class for school and the N+ exam eliminated the class.
    2. My employeer wanted all admins to have N+. No it wasn't requried to get hired.
    3. I was curious of the Comptia exams. And I was due for an exam.

At my company they encoruage us to take IT certs. I think it kind of justifies our salaries too and also keeps us up on new things. We have to update our resumes every 6 months so something new is always great for the higher ups to see.

McToy
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□

Funny..... You must not know many people working for the DoD!!!!

icon_confused.gif:

DoD Directive 8570 is NOW in effect. A grandfather clause gives current employees until FY09 to get required certifications. New hires have 6 months. Required certifications vary depending on your primary function. This DoD Directive applies to military, civilians, and contractors within the DoD for all Information Assurance Managers and Information Assurance Technicians. The definition is somewhat loose at the moment, but most agree it includes standard HelpDesk and Systems/Network Administrators, all IA folks, and generally anyone with system level priveledges (ie a developer who has admin rights on his own computer will need baseline certs as well). So this will give a big boost to CompTIA A+ and Network+ certs (not to mention on all the IAM's scrambling to get their CISSP).
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • techgeek07techgeek07 Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I had failed as well with either a 534 or 536 (don't quite remember at this point). But, I am going to take the test again. If for nothing else, after the HR interview, you'll have an interview with IT, and it will at least show a base knowledge. Besides, I've really gotten alot out of studying it. I had no exp with novell, mac, and very little with linux. After I failed, I gave up for a little while but am getting back on the wagon for it. I'm now dual booting between linux and windows (and actually mostly using linux at this point), have taken over the MAC support at my job (we used to say we wouldn't support it), and am still looking for a good way to learn about novell. This is good developement, if nothing else. I just want it down at this point to move on to my MCSA, and, I think it will go quickly at this point. GL on whatever you decide to do.
    Please excuse any spelling errors, I speak well, but, write like a five year old
  • LaminiLamini Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i was getting depressed about N+ till i saw the post above mine. my roots arent IT and i got my A+ for the hell of it, but alas my efforts were not done in vain knowing I can use the N+, whenever i get off my @$$ and finally finish it
    CompTIA: A+ / NET+ / SEC+
    Microsoft: MCSA 2003
  • remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    It's all about what you combine with your certs. If you take those certs and build on them as far as exploring and learning you can move up the ladder in IT. If you add passion with those certs, you can move beyond the entry level jobs. Don't say they are worthless. I only have my A+, Network+, and Linux+ and I landed a 46K a year job as a Network Technician. You have to apply yourself and your knowledge and exhibit that knowledge in your job interviews and you can get where you want to go. It takes work, constant learning, and passion.
  • LaminiLamini Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    man, i remember when 46k was one of my goals... things change when a family, mortgage, cars, bills, etc, in the picture

a wide background can sure open up some doors, give you added value, spice up your resume, etc... i like that a lot and use it, high competition out there
    CompTIA: A+ / NET+ / SEC+
    Microsoft: MCSA 2003
  • mistervincemistervince Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    its all about being able to work with people.
    Why is SuSE better than Redhat?

Its alllll in the startup scripts. All in the startup scripts. >.<

(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
    (='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
    (")_(")domination.
  • warrior3rdpltwarrior3rdplt Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey man

I took the exam about 3 weeks ago and failed I scored 501. I didn't really follow the exam objectives plus some of the study guides I had was a joke. I mean a complete waste of time. I bought the Network + 2005 in depth. The book was a hard read and it did not have the answers to the practice exam. but after burning the midnight oil and trying to digest 14 chapters I managed to go down and past the test on the second time . The bottom line since you failed you now know what to expect so don't be down on yourself go retake the exam