Options

MCSA/MCSE Security- useful?

advanracing62advanracing62 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Contemplating getting the MCSE/MCSA security certs. but not sure if it is even worth it. Do employers see a value in the cert. or is it just a futile attempt at putting some extra stuff on the resume?

Comments

• Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I hope it is worth it since I am working towards the MCSA:sec now.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    advanracing62advanracing62 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    that's my feeling on it as well- I too am working on it, but after looking at some opportunities here- none ask for this particular cert. nor even list it in their cert logs. Hence my pondering.
  • Options
    flipsideflipside Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The certs itself are worthless, but the experience that you will aquire during learning process is the only one thing that matter. Taking certs exam have helped me understand how a particular/part of technology really work.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I've seen a couple of companies put MCSE: Security on the same "the following are a big plus" lists as CCSP, CISSP, and even Security+ when applying for positions that have specifically to do with security management or security auditing. I haven't seen it as a requirement on any jobs yet, but the fact that it's popped up every once in a while is hopeful. Incidentally, I've also seen MCSE: Messaging on job descriptions. So, people are paying attention to the specialites, even if it's not nearly as much as they just put down the desire for plain 'ol MCSE's.

For the most part, though, the security designation on MCSE is something you can use as extra leverage when moving into the security world from "regular" network and systems administration. It definitely won't be as well-recognized or as prestegious as CISSP, but that's a little hard to top. However, I'd venture to say that the MCSE: Security is not unlike CCSP, in the sense that it gives you an opportunity to really get into security work on the technology you're already familiar with. One thing I have seen: a lot of authors writing security books, like Roberta Bragg, list the MCSE: Security cert among the recognized credentials they have, (and that includes CISSP, and even their M.A's and Ph.D's in some cases.)

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.