System board extension for PnP BIOS -Code=10/ Transcender?

rome007rome007 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
icon_mad.gif I'm studying for my A+ OS Exam and what do you know I got an icon_exclaim.gif beside the System board extension for PnP BIOS in Device manager .

-I tried uninstalling and reinstalling it , that didn't work.

-It's driving my crazy cause I'm going to be a tech in the near future but I can't fix this one issue. The OS is WINme. I know after I pass the OS Exam I'm going to XP.

-Do I need to update my BIOS?

Also what do you think about Transcender for a studying tool for the test? icon_eek.gif

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Windows 98, ME, 2000 and XP use the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) BIOS interface to configure motherboard devices and retrieve system information. But you probably noticed that already. (I assume your machine it running fine....right?)

What are your BIOS settings regarding PnP and ACPI? (if any ;) )

Although this is generaly not adviced: I always update the BIOS of my mainboards and videocards whenever there's a newer version, especially when there's a problem related to the BIOS, just to rule out another possible cause.

There's a slight chance you need to do a reinstall of windows ME after you updated the BIOS (an upgrade usually works and will keep your current settings and programs.)
    rome007 wrote:
    Also what do you think about Transcender for a studying tool for the test?

I haven't used the A+ OS Transcenders myself, although it I did for many other exams, but I can say this: I don't have banners of Transcender on this site because they are the most rewarding for us, there are other advertisers willing to offer more or a higher percentage of sale. I choose Transcender banners because they provide a very good product, maybe even the best, but that's a matter of opinion and depends on which exam you're taking.
    If you do decide to buy them, be sure to visit them via their banner on our site so you will support us a 'bit' as well ;)
  • rome007rome007 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Your Right- My system is running fine.

I don't wont to risk updating my BIOS, because I really dont need to , anyway. Plus the fact that my motherboard company <Amptron> hasn't reponded to any of my emails regarding BIOS upgrade.

Next year, I will just upgrade my whole system, if I need to.

Thanks for the help.
  • bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    unfortunately, i imagine a mobo manufacturer will not respond to queries about bios updates, as they will believe that faqs and readme files available on the site or as part of the bios download itself are enough.

every computer i have owned that has had a flash-capable bios has been flashed. anytime i attempt a major upgrade, i will check for a bios upgrade...

my lab contains p1 computers and have needed bios upgrades to allow for larger memory modules and larger hard drives amongst other things.

i recently upgraded my main computer to an athlon 1700, and having heard there may be stability problems with the cpu and certain motherboards, decided to see if a bios upgrade would address the problem. it turned out, however, that the trouble with the chip was the core and that amd have since replaced them with a different core.
    A+ Moderator