O.Reilly's A+, Network+, Security+ in a nutshell?

davidvoyagedavidvoyage Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everybody, I currently have no certifications and I'm studying for the Network+ cert. However, I don't know if I'm going to take the exams, because I just want to have the "knowledge" of it. I'm currently looking for a job as a desktop support/technician. Is this book good for reference and a good aid for desktop support?

Also, if I decide to take the exams in the future, is this good enough? (Together with Video Training(CBT or Testout) on A+, Network+ and security+)
Is it worth buying this book?

Thank you.

here is the link for the book:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596528249/

Comments

• sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Studying for Network+ is a good way to prepare for a Desktop Support type job. I would also recommend A+ and a Microsoft certification like MCP/MCDST and then when you get some experience MCSA.

It is good that you want to learn the material more than just getting certified but I am curious to know why you do not want to take the exams? A+ along with Net+ or a Microsoft cert will increase your chances of landing a job although they are not always required.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • davidvoyagedavidvoyage Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    sthomas wrote:
    Studying for Network+ is a good way to prepare for a Desktop Support type job. I would also recommend A+ and a Microsoft certification like MCP/MCDST and then when you get some experience MCSA.

It is good that you want to learn the material more than just getting certified but I am curious to know why you do not want to take the exams? A+ along with Net+ or a Microsoft cert will increase your chances of landing a job although they are not always required.

I may not want to take exams for A+, Network+ because I'm aiming for MCSA/MCSE. I may take exam Security+ because it can be elective to BOTH MCSA and MCSE. I don't know but I think I can still put "knowledge of PC troubleshooting and basic networking such as TCP/IP etc" in my resume even without taking the A+ or Network+ exams right?
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    I may not want to take exams for A+, Network+ because I'm aiming for MCSA/MCSE. I may take exam Security+ because it can be elective to BOTH MCSA and MCSE. I don't know but I think I can still put "knowledge of PC troubleshooting and basic networking such as TCP/IP etc" in my resume even without taking the A+ or Network+ exams right?

Of course you can but having a Network+ or an A+ can also help show you have a good foundation of skills...they actually helped me get my first full time IT job since mty boss told me I'm the only person they've ever hired who hadn't finished their degree yet...
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It is not the same that you write in your resume that you have that knowledge than showing a certification that inlcude that knowledge.

Raul
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    sthomas wrote:

You can get by without A+ and Net+ and just put you have the Basic PC hardware and Networking knowledge on your resume. I know CompTIA certs are expensive so if you are strapped for cash then skipping those may be a good option. However, if you are looking for a Desktop support job then you may want to at least get A+. It is a well known cert and alot of employers like to see it for Tech Support jobs. Keep in mind also that A+ and Net+ count as an elective for MCSA.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2