Salary Increase

Hey guys,

Does anyone know where I can find information on salary increases after receiving certificates?

Thanks

Comments

• SchluepSchluep Member Posts: 346
    If you are planning to stay in the position you are then the only way to find out is to ask your employer.

If you are planning to work for another company take a look at the salaries on some listings requiring those specific certifications (and work experience that you have) to see what you are looking at.

Picking up some certifications definitely won't hurt other than the initial time spent, exam fees, and the cost of resources used. Even if the benefits don't play out in your current position, you never know when they prove helpful to have in the future. You may meet the owner of a company tommorow looking for your exact set of skills offering a better work environment and better salary. If he requires specific certifications and needs to fill the position fast you will have lost out on an opportunity since you weren't prepared. Outside of salary benefits to you, the knowledge gained can usually be applied in some way to what you are doing or expand you knowledge base and way of thinking, which never hurts when it comes to IT.

I know this is in the Security+ forum but seems more like a general question. Are you planning on taking the Security+? Do you have any other certifications? What line of work are you in? This information may help people here give some better examples based on their similar circumstances.
  • mike3mike3 Member Posts: 136
    I have Network+ and the A+ certs.

I work in IT as a network computer support tech.
  • TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    Both are bottom of the line certs. I wouldn't really count on much of an increase, if any. Continue your studies and it will pay off.
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • Aquabat [banned]Aquabat [banned] Inactive Imported Users Posts: 299
    those salary reports are always overrated it says a ccna makes an average of 60k, yea right
    i herd u leik mudkips lol
  • GregDGregD Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Aquabat wrote:
    those salary reports are always overrated it says a ccna makes an average of 60k, yea right
    Depends on location. In some places where the cost of living is high, they make that much, or more - but it doesn't go as far as it would elsewhere.
    CCNA - Complete
    CCNP - BCMSN, ONT Complete.

Up Next - ISCW, BSCI
  • seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    Another issue with the cert salary reports is that they do not always (ever?) take into account the individuals experience.

You may have one ccna who is a senior network admin at a large company with 20 years experience and makes 150k. <----individuals like that skew the results of those studies.