Options

Zeroconf = Network technician's NIGHTMARE?

davidvoyagedavidvoyage Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
HI guys,

I'm currently studying Network+, and I came across "Zeroconf". It's a new developing technology that will AUTOMATICALLY configure TCP/IP by just plugging cables...(No need DHCP server etc..)

After reading that I was like WT*?? That means they don't need network admin to configure TCP/IP anymore?

If you look at those job search web site, some networking jobs requirements are: "Able to configure TCP/IP etc..." In my opinion, I think Zeroconf = less need of Network Technicians = less networking job!

I really don't know if my reasoning is reasonable or not(since I just start studying networking now) If later on, they come up with software that allow unskilled workers to easily set up all the network, servers, routers, switches..I think they don't need network administrator anymore. That make me worry about the future of network administration....

What do you think guys?

Comments

• Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Whilst theres still a user they will still require us to fix what they break icon_lol.gif
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Funny..... trust me zeroconf can not do the job of a network administrator. It can not do all the things needed to build and monitor a network. Calm down its not going to work you out of a job!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    JoshyJJoshyJ Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    And who do you think are going to be the ones that install and fix Zeroconf... icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    livenliven Member Posts: 918
    zeroconf is probably just some glorified DHCP.

How are clients going to know what device to talk to get IP and network info?

There has to be some configuration. With configuration comes room for error and change. WIth that comes the need to some one to admin, trouble shoot, and maintain.

Plus this would only work for a very small LAN, all other networking would be MUCH to complex for zeroconf.
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.
  • Options
    JoshyJJoshyJ Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Or maybe a glorified script.. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    druid318druid318 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Also , this sounds like it would have zero security. Anyone who plugs in to your network would have access to everything that it manages?
  • Options
    TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    Can zeroconf do static IP's for me??? How about routes?

Vista was also supposed to make my job obsolete. All it has done so far is help to put my son through a nicer college in the future. Go Bill Gates! You rock.
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?