error 1324. The folder path '.' contains and invalid.......

jkstechjkstech Member Posts: 330
When trying to install project server 03 I keep getting the following error.

Error 1324. The folder path '.' contains and invalid character

this is a sharepoint server, which is why I want to put project 03 on there, to integrate it with sharepoint, any app that uses windows installer gives this error, other install packages work fine,

I ran the proj svr 03 install on another server and it runs fine, i've been through many registry keys to verify proper settings, checked the path in my environmental variables, logged on with multiple different accounts, ran it local, from the network, console etc.

unregistered and re-registered msiexec.exe

uninstalled and reinstalled windows installer from add/remove programs....

once again, the gremlins are back, I already checked the kabobulator.... icon_wink.gif

any thoughts?

what is path does '.' refer to? I was thinking root.
get back to studying!!!

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,025 Admin
    A single dot is the current directory. Somewhere is a parameter that is a path to a folder that is specified as a dot or backslash-dot, and the installation program is unable to resolve the full path name. Does the installer produce an error log file? That may give a clue as to what this path is used for.
  • jkstechjkstech Member Posts: 330
    the log in the event file just shows the same error that pops up, i'm not sure how to determine what path this is looking at, i've checked my logs and it's been happening for a few months, anything that uses windows installed gives the same exact error, I can't even run the msi cleanup utility
    get back to studying!!!
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Run the "set" command, and look in your path variables for typos or bad characters.
    All things are possible, only believe.
    thank you!!!

I don't know if it worked yet, but I did find my CommonProgramFiles was set to C:\.\Program Files\Common Files

finally found our which registry key that refers too, we'll see if this fixes it, anyhow, thanks for pointing me in the right direction!!!

either way, I thank you :D
    get back to studying!!!
    yes, it did indeed work, required a reboot to set recognize the path change, now I am happily going through the install.
    get back to studying!!!
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wow, not bad for a wild guess. icon_lol.gif
    Glad it worked! :)
    All things are possible, only believe.