Laptops

Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
Specifically - the dell that they sell at walmart. its $798, has a amd-64 dual core, 120gb hard drive, 2gb ram, etc,etc,etc. I'm wondering if anyone has experienced these or heard anything about it yet? I should be able to get it for around $700 before taxes with my discount (i work for walmart) and then i'll probably finance most of it. The screen on my HP is shot and i don't really have the time to find a screen and then repair it, and i'm not going to pay someone else to do it.

my plan is to wip ethe drive as soon as i get it, and pending driver availbility i'll probably run linux on it, and use VMware for any windows stuff i might need.

any thoughts?

edit: link to laptop http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=6498102

edit: or maybe this. i get no discount at sams, but i've always wanted a thinkpad
http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=367499&pCatg=5680
Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685

Comments

• Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    Ignore this post i suppose, i just bought a laptop through dell.com :D

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I like Dells. Power Edges, Optiplexes, Latitudes and Inspirons. Always had great luck with them, and very good support.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Lenovo has some nice ones too!

Typically I sell Dell's. Great sucess (Just cannot get them to ship the dang orders I have outstanting....now I have 15 orders 'In production" with 9 of them almost 4 weeks old).

I'd never buy anything from w@lm@rt. Dell partnering with them was a bad decision (IMNSHO), though this comment wasn't meant to turn this into a bash of w@lm@rt
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just make sure you keep the warranty and purchase information, along with all the manuals and CDs. I hate when people throw that stuff away, then run into trouble a year later when it breaks down. I have an old Toshiba that I've used since 2001...wish I had money for a Mac. :)

KG
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
    Yeah i'll kjeep any warrenty and purchase information in my safe. i have everything (including the box and packaging) for my HP but my dad forgot to get the warrenty (they gave us like 14 day sto get it)....

• ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Plantwiz wrote:

Typically I sell Dell's. Great sucess (Just cannot get them to ship the dang orders I have outstanting....now I have 15 orders 'In production" with 9 of them almost 4 weeks old).

It's back to school time. All the parents being laptops for their kids at the last minute. Desktops have been shipping quickly like normal.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    ajs1976 wrote:
    Plantwiz wrote:

It's back to school time. All the parents being laptops for their kids at the last minute. Desktops have been shipping quickly like normal.

Negative on that!!

I've both notebooks, desktops and backup devices on hold (and of course LCDs are WAY backedup).

I did receive notice late this evening that 1 of the many desktops shipped....maybe more will shake through soon. icon_rolleyes.gif

And it's already Oct (couple days) so the kids should have their notebooks by now...plus they shouldn't be tying up business-class stuff.

Dell's got this goofy calendar cycle...if they were any other company 9-30 would be the end of a quarter....except Dell is a month off from everyone else so they won't end 3rd Q unit 10-31.

I'm starting to think there are some Nice looking Toshiba's I can quote
    icon_twisted.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
    walmart is just like that, our 3rd quarter ends at the end of October as well (which sucks, i want my bonus now!)

but what makes no sense is that the laptop ships on the 12th of october, and the laptop bag and a few other things i ordered ships on the.... 26th of october? wth?