Windows Question

ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
If a Windows machine hangs and displays no desktop but the GUI is there and you can access task manager and the run command by using CTRL ALT DEL is there a simple way to restart the GUI via a run command without rebooting the box?

What other useful programs can be run from run lol excluding cmd, mmc,

I also forgot the command for disaplaying programs which run at start up

Many Thanks icon_eek.gif
Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "

Comments

• Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    If you a re refering to the start button then ctrl-alt-del, task manager then File new task(run)

Navigate to c:\Windows\Explorer this will give you your start button back

Hope that helps

lee H
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ally_uk wrote:
    If a Windows machine hangs and displays no desktop but the GUI is there and you can access task manager and the run command by using CTRL ALT DEL is there a simple way to restart the GUI via a run command without rebooting the box?

I have started explorer.exe this way before, but I have to specify the path "C:\Windows\explorer.exe".
    ally_uk wrote:
    I also forgot the command for disaplaying programs which run at start up
    msconfig

HTH :)

Wow - Lee beat me by seconds! icon_lol.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Cheers guys once again you learn something new everyday with these forums!
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Try running explorer. I have exited out of explorer once in a while just to try to squeeze a little bit extra free ram out of the computer.
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If the GUI is running, if you go to Ctrl + Alt + Delete, go to file > run > type explorer, the Windows Explorer will come up. If the GUI is NOT running and you go to Ctrl + Alt + Delete, explorer.exe will run instead of the Windows Explorer and bring back up the taskbar, icons, etc...
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks