MCSE 2003 down, 70-431 up!

cashewcashew Member Posts: 122 ■■□□□□□□□□
So I took a month off after completing my MCSE and decided to go the SQL route. Now the only experience I have is deleting stuck jobs from our order processing department using query analyzer. In other words, I don't know anything. I'm about 50 pages into the mspress and have watched a few cbt nuggets so far. Should I have alot more experience before attempting this exam, or can I be an absolute newb and dive right in?

Comments

• BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You will probably want a little more background in T-SQL that what the MSPress book covers. Also a little more background in database structure and normalization would be very helpful. A good book you should pick up is: http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Server-2005-Programming-Programmer/dp/0764584332/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-6583888-2014862?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1191279803&sr=8-1
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • cashewcashew Member Posts: 122 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks, after reading the foreward on that book I think I will pick it up and put down the mspress for now. I was into chapter 2 and it basically gives you some practices of creating and adding databases. While the commands made sense, I was still a little confused as I have no experience with databases. I will knock out that book then get back to the ms press. Thanks for the advice!
    Yeah, the MSPress does a bad job in some areas...expecially the XML chapter. You'll save yourself a lot of frustration if you take your time and read the Beginning SQL Server programming book. Glad to see others pursuing this exam...good luck!
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • cashewcashew Member Posts: 122 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • sinistamunkeysinistamunkey Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was starting to think I was doing something wrong with the XML part of thie MS-Press book, I've got a fairly solid working knowledge of T-Sql, XML and XSD's and yet that section made my brain want to escape from my ear icon_lol.gif
    Just because you can... doesn't mean you should.

Next: 70-536 and then THE WORLD!
    The exam is maintenance and administration, but it assumes you have a solid understanding of T-SQL and database structure. I have read quite a few books on SQL Server 2005, and the one I recommend above is the best I have seen in introducing these topics.