Options

VTP domain

MikdillyMikdilly Member Posts: 309
Does the revision number matter when you change the vtp domain name on a switch? As in, does the domain name propagate to all other trunked switches in client or server mode if the revision number on the switch used to change the name has a revision number lower than the rest of the switches?

Comments

• Options
    elvantelvant Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The link below will help you to understand vtp problem (someone post this link before)

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/vtp_flash/
    What is done is done, what yet to be done will be done. While in the process of doing, enjoy it.
  • Options
    rjbarlowrjbarlow Member Posts: 411
    Mikdilly wrote:
    Does the revision number matter when you change the vtp domain name on a switch? As in, does the domain name propagate to all other trunked switches in client or server mode if the revision number on the switch used to change the name has a revision number lower than the rest of the switches?
    Mmh, maybe I understood well your question; my answer is:
    switches thsat do not share the same VTP domain name, do not advertise from each other VLAN information.
    Pork 3
    Maindrian's music

WIP: 70-236, 70-293 and MCSE.
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In that flash tutorial that weng posted, it states that you can configure the VTP domain name on the server, and that domain name will propagate the trunk and automatically configure the client with the new domain name via Summary advertisement and subset advertisement frames. Now I see this as bringing a client switch from NULL to the new domain name. I did not know this was an option. Can anyone verify that?

Also what if the client is not NULL and is already configured with a domain name. Then when that domain name is changed on the server, the Rev.# increments. So in this case, will the clients still update their Domain name?

This has sparked some questions for me too.

Guess I'll have to lab this one up tonight.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    Switch will dynamically change its domain (when receive the ads) only if the domain name is NULL, if the domain is something other than NULL, it will not change its domain name either in server or in client mode.
    What is done is done, what yet to be done will be done. While in the process of doing, enjoy it.
  • Options
    I've read that by default catalyst 3550/3560 switches are a member of a domain called NULL and will not propagate vlan information from one switch to another, but once the domain is changed the vtp domain name is propagated to other switches. So would think that if all switches had an existing domain name other than NULL and one of those switches had it's domain name changed then that domain name would be propagated to all other trunked switches.
  • Options
    When a switch received a ads from neighboring switch, it will first look at the domain name. If the domain is different than its own, it will ignore and discard the ads. (except the NULL case)

taken from the flash's example, you have 2 switches A and B connected with the same domain name ( vlans info is syn ), then you add a switch C with a different domain name between A and B. Becoz a switch will ignore ads from a neighboring switch with a different domain name. Any changes in A will not syn to B becoz the ads send by A is discard by C and unable to reach B.
    rather than the C will dynamically change its domain name identical to A and B or vice versa.

If a domain name can be dynamically changed (again, except NULL), then eventually all the domain name in a LAN will only have a domain name, which is not true.
  • Options
    wengyau wrote:
    When a switch received a ads from neighboring switch, it will first look at the domain name. If the domain is different than its own, it will ignore and discard the ads. (except the NULL case)

taken from the flash's example, you have 2 switches A and B connected with the same domain name ( vlans info is syn ), then you add a switch C with a different domain name between A and B. Becoz a switch will ignore ads from a neighboring switch with a different domain name. Any changes in A will not syn to B becoz the ads send by A is discard by C and unable to reach B.
    rather than the C will dynamically change its domain name identical to A and B or vice versa.

If a domain name can be dynamically changed (again, except NULL), then eventually all the domain name in a LAN will only have a domain name, which is not true.

Thanks
  • Options
    wengyau wrote:

Good Point. Ya I could see it dynamically going from NULL to some value, even though I did not know that, but dynamically going from a value to another value, didn't sound right. Had to ask though. Thanks Weng.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Yes weng is right. If you would like to see it just plugg up two switches with no domain names. If you change one and telnet to the other it will already have the new domain name.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    I went one step further...

My lab has 3 2950's. I changed all domain names to NULL to clear everything. Then I gave one a domain name (CCNP). As networker said, all three were now Servers in CCNP... so I had to change two into clients.

Next, I changed the name of the domain on the Server to something new (CCSP). Both Clients stayed with the CCNP name... meaning I now had a vtp domain without a Server. Interesting.

Lastly, after making one of the Clients in CCNP into a Server, I took the new standalone CCSP Server from the network... played with it until it had a far higher revision, and added it back. Sure enough, no change to the CCNP domain at all. So then I took it off the network, added more vlans, and change the domain name to CCNP and added it back. Instantly (well, as quick as I could telnet to the other two) they had the information from the new Server.

This stuff is right out of the BCMSN material. Well, mostly. Very neat stuff.
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
  • Options
    COOL! Ya I was going to lab it up myself, but never got around to it.