Options

Has anyone taken the new CCNA exam?

mfstein01mfstein01 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I was just wondering if anyone was taken newest version of the CCNA exam? Any thoughts on it?

I'm "thinking" about taking the CCNA exam this month and I am not sure if it is better to take the old or the new exam icon_rolleyes.gif

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I haven't taken the new exam so I can't wiegh in on that part.

I would say if you have been studying for the 801 you would probably be better of taking it rather than the 802.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26251

Dtlokee has taken it. But watch out for that guy, he's full of it! icon_lol.gif
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you study all the topics for the 801 (without ISDN, IGRP and RIP v1) and add in Wireless, some security (like configuring SSH, and how to restrict telnet connections to a router, etc.) and configuring a router as a DHCP server you should be ok.

Although it may be overkill, the SNRS book from the CCSP covers all of the security topics very well. It may make sense to read it once.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    mfstein01mfstein01 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thks for the info!

Are the Cisco 2500 routers still ok to use to practice for the new exam? Also, is it better to spend the money to buy two routers or two switches?

Thanks,
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You are going to need at least two of both really. I'd suggest three of each at least, but not really a must for the switches.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    LOkrasaLOkrasa Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can check out the lab thread for the all of the labs ppl have run for the CCNA. It will also give you some ideas on what to get.
  • Options
    penguinkingpenguinking Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    For a good routing protocols lab, I'd get three routers. That should be fine, even if they're real low-end 2507s or something. The 2507 at least has two fixed serial ports, which'll allow you to do all sorts of WAN stuff, such as frame relay, and give you the option of expanding to a 4th, 5th, or 6th router in the future. The 2524 routers are also good as they are modular with 3 slots each, allowing you to mix and match your serial/modem/etc. cards if you need to change your lab up. The 2507s on the other hand have fixed ports and therefore can't ever be changed or swapped out.

As far as switches go, pick up two 2950 catalysts from Ebay. Two should be fine for now (that's what I had while studying for CCNA and it was well worth the money). You can get both of them for a combined total of $350 shipped from Ebay, or maybe even as low as $300. That's a real good investment IMO because it'll at least allow you to do some VTP trunking.

Actually, now that I think about it, maybe you should get a 2620 or 2620 router too, for a router-on-a-stick lab. So 4 routers and 3 switches. That's a $500 investment but it's worth every penny. Don't let anyone ever fool you into thinking sims are good enough because hands-on experience is irreplaceable. Even the best sims are buggy at times and, frankly, don't give you the same set of psychological skills that enable you to envisions network topologies. IMO.