Options

OSCP? CISSP Credits

jplee3jplee3 Member Posts: 51 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi all,
I've been researching the SSCP and CISSP for some time now. I've only been in the field for about a year now so I definitely don't have enough to go for a CISSP. Anyway, I came across another certification: OSCP (Offensive Security Certified Professional) along the lines of BackTrack, etc. I was wondering if anyone here has gotten their OSCP or considered it (or is currently doing it). My friend said he took the CEH course and it was a joke because the information was just so dated and not much was too relevant. OSCP seems pretty intense though, especially for the "24 hr" test to actually get certified. Any input on OSCP? It seems like it's pretty good overall. Not so sure how widely recognized it is though.
On that note, I read somewhere that ISC2 will credit anyone who has their SSCP, CISSP, etc with 40 credits or something like that. My question is: If I go for my ISC2 cert *after* OSCP, can these credits be applied for the future? Or do the credits get 'thrown out the window' if I do the OSCP first and get SSCP or CISSP later? Not that I'm *not* going to pursue anything because of that, but I was just curious as to how that works.

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,030 Admin
    jplee3 wrote:
    On that note, I read somewhere that ISC2 will credit anyone who has their SSCP, CISSP, etc with 40 credits or something like that. My question is: If I go for my ISC2 cert *after* OSCP, can these credits be applied for the future? Or do the credits get 'thrown out the window' if I do the OSCP first and get SSCP or CISSP later? Not that I'm *not* going to pursue anything because of that, but I was just curious as to how that works.
    The best place to ask such specific questions about the OSCP certification would be at www.offensive-security.com. They would make the final decisions on such situations.
  • Options
    ketch.ubetchaketch.ubetcha Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    To answer your question here is a link to what it will give you for CPE credits

http://www.offensive-security.com./offsec101.php
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote:
    jplee3 wrote:
    The best place to ask such specific questions about the OSCP certification would be at www.offensive-security.com. They would make the final decisions on such situations.

For a question about ISC2 CPE, I think he needs to talk to ISC2.

jplee3 - the 'C' in CPE stands for Continuing as in after you get the SSCP and the CISSP, so I doubt they will give you credit for something you did before you obtained the SSCP or the CISSP, but let us now what you find out.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete