Options

Sec+ Preparation

ceterisparibusceterisparibus Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
How well do the PrepLogic Tests model the real Sec+ test?

I've read the Sybex book and the TechExam TechNotes and have done well on the Sybex Sample Tests, the CompTia example questions, the tests on this site, and the Free-Tests test.

I purchased the Preplogic exam last week simply for the free voucher and have noticed those questions are quite a bit different than the ones I mentioned earlier. I took several of them anyway last night and did well (passed) but took two this morning and failed somewhat miserably (using different test pools). I'm sure I'll have those exams down by the end of the weekend but I'm questioning their real-world (well, real-test-world) relevance.

So, I'm a little down on myself at the moment but one or two evenings and I'll be back up there (I'm just wondering whether spending my time acing the preplogic tests is time well spent).

I've been studying several hours or more everyday for the past month or so.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Passed today w/ a 858.

I don't want to say I over-studied but I think I stressed myself more than necessary.

I think the Sybex book and included tests + the tests on this site + the free-tests site were plenty. The Preplogic tests also did a good job giving you a feel for the depth and difficulty of the questions.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey, congrats! icon_thumright.gif

Sorry no one replied to your first post, usually you'll at least get a "good luck" and some encouragement. Maybe you posted on a slow day? But thanks for posting your results and opinions on the different resourses you used.

Any plans for what's next?
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Congrats on the pass, didn't see your first post also icon_sad.gif

-Ken
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Congrats on the pass!!! :D
  • Options
    Thanks guys.

Next one - not 100% sure. I've given myself some time off and I've been playing with Wireshark (w/ Chris Sanders Practical Packet Analysis Book) and NMap on my home network. I really enjoy the hands on stuff and Sec+ didn't offer much of that so I'm recharging a bit.

We recently got the Wireless, Cisco, and InfoSec CBT Nuggets at work so I'll be going through some of that as well (started the Linux+ one last night).

I'm starting up another big project that should go one for 3 or 4 months so I'm not sure that I'll have the time for the Pen Test and Foresenics type exams which is (at this point) where I think my interest really lies.

I'm a systems analyst with 12+ years experience writing and working with software products but I'm finding out the security field favors the Network/OS side of things so, more than likely, given my relative weakness in those areas and my upcoming schedule I'll probably focus on Network+ and Linux+ - I think I should be able to reasonably get those two under my belt by end of January. I think that will give me a good foundation to go on to whatever is next.

There's another exam MS 70-340 - Implementing Security for Applications with Microsoft Visual C# .NET that may make sense for me as well.

In the meantime, I'll keep reading the posts and let you know when I get closer to a decision.
  • Options
    mike860mike860 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Passed today w/ a 858.

I don't want to say I over-studied but I think I stressed myself more than necessary.

I think the Sybex book and included tests + the tests on this site + the free-tests site were plenty. The Preplogic tests also did a good job giving you a feel for the depth and difficulty of the questions.

Did U use Sybex or PrepLogic?
    What is the % did it cover'?
  • Options
    I used the Sybex book (plus included exams) as well as the Preplogic exams.

Every exam is unique in that the questions will be shuffled around but I'd say both Sybex & PrepLogic covered the majority of the material (90-95%?). That is not to say the question are presented verbatim - you'll need to know the material and be able to deduce from there but the basic underlying information is presented in a format not too radically different than what you can expect from the exam. The Sybex book provides the material and the PrepLogic tests provide a certain level of confidence that you know and understand the material.
    mike860 wrote:
    Passed today w/ a 858.

Did U use Sybex or PrepLogic?
    What is the % did it cover'?