A diagram that I can Really use some expertise with.

cooldude15cooldude15 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi I can really use some help I have a diagram that requires assigning a supernetted address in an ospf environment. I am having difficulty in understanding how to apply the two subnets in the diagram. I don't know how or if it is possible to post the diagram here. I can really benefit from your expertise guys, som clarity is needed.

If you guys can respond to my email I'll send you the diagram and then can give me some clarity about these network diagrams. Man, these diagrams are getting more complex then what I am use to.

labman09@hotmail.com

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    cooldude15 wrote:
    I don't know how or if it is possible to post the diagram here.
    Depends on where the diagram is from. If it is from study material or another website, it is copyrighted hence you cannot post it here. But if it is your own creation or you can get permissions of the creator to post it here, send it to me by e-mail, and I will put it on our server and send you the url, so you can use the [img]http://image_url[/img] tags to include the image in a post.
  • cooldude15cooldude15 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Webmaster wrote:
    Depends on where the diagram is from. If it is from study material or another website, it is copyrighted hence you cannot post it here. But if it is your own creation or you can get permissions of the creator to post it here, send it to me by e-mail, and I will put it on our server and send you the url, so you can use the [img]http://image_url[/img] tags to include the image in a post.

Thanks, how can I send it to you? Don't know your email address. The diagram is not copyrighted.
    Thanks Webmaster for allowing me to post the diagram.
    This is the diagram. I know that the 209.100.4.0 represents subnets 209.100.4.0 and 209.100.5.0. I don't know how to apply that to the diagram. Also the 8 hosts part, from what I understand its for the switches. Am I suppose to do something with the switch like configuring the ports or something (yeah I m lost)? I can really use your expertise guys!

ospfm.jpg
    It looks like there is a network (subnet) missing 'behind' the sales router...

I assume you are doing this to learn something so I'm not going to just give the answers. There are numerous solutions though, but take a look at the following diagram:

icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/images/ospfm2.jpg

Every X represents a separate subnet, which requires it's own IP subnet and mask. Note that I added the missing network below sales, and assume the 8 hosts refer to the hosts for that network. I also assumed the switch does not have any VLANs configured. But if the 8 hosts is for the Sales network, how many host does the Marketing network (the switch) need. If the 8 hosts are for the switch, does that include the 3 routers connected to it?

Apart from that, how would you divide the 209.100.4.0/23 range over all these subnets? You 'could' start by assigning the 209.100.5.0/24 network to the 2 subnets below the marketing router. Also use a 30-bit mask for the point-to-point connections.
    Webmaster wrote:

I also assumed the switch does not have any VLANs configured. But if the 8 hosts is for the Sales network, how many host does the Marketing network (the switch) need. If the 8 hosts are for the switch, does that include the 3 routers connected to it?

Apart from that, how would you divide the 209.100.4.0/23 range over all these subnets? You 'could' start by assigning the 209.100.5.0/24 network to the 2 subnets below the marketing router. Also use a 30-bit mask for the point-to-point connections.

The 8 hosts are actually for the switch. So as it stands I will have 5 available for future use. Do I have to configure the ports on the switch or something? This part confuses me, but I know for sure that the 8 hosts on the diagram represents the switch. Could help me understand the switch part?

Also I will have to configure the actually VLAN for the switch with an IP address so that I can access it through http. But I understand that aspect of it, this 8 hosts thing is throwing me off a little.
    Also becasue of the fact that the three routers(sales, marketing, personnel) are connected to the switch, does that make them part of the same subnet? And if so how would I apply the 30 hosts segment that is connected to personnel?
    cooldude15 wrote:
    Also becasue of the fact that the three routers(sales, marketing, personnel) are connected to the switch, does that make them part of the same subnet?
    Depends on wether it has VLANs configured.
    The 8 hosts are actually for the switch.
    Then where are the hosts for the Marketing departement?
    I'll be needing to configure the switch with an ip address so that I can access it by means of http. But no vlans are not configured for the switch.

There are no hosts for the Marketing its the ethernet connection to the switch and the two serial commections.