Traffic generators

NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
Anyone know of any good ones? Free, preferably.
There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!

Comments

• keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i searched and found a couple that were free but i haven't had time to test them.. all the rest are $$
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    Netstudent wrote:

Netstudent,

For HTTP traffic = Internet Explorer
    For FTP traffic = Internet Explorer
    For SMTP traffic = Outlook Express
    For POP3 traffic = Outlook Express
    For Telnet traffic = Command Prompt

:)
  • NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Netstudent wrote:

Netstudent,

For HTTP traffic = Internet Explorer
    For FTP traffic = Internet Explorer
    For SMTP traffic = Outlook Express
    For POP3 traffic = Outlook Express
    For Telnet traffic = Command Prompt

:)

icon_lol.gif uhhh thanks. Thats some serious enlightenment right there. funny..

I'll find some, I was just seeing if I could get some recommendations.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What exactly are you trying to do here? Just curious.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
    Just test the load on WAN interfaces and possibly try to get some congestion notifications. Also wanted to play around with some QoS and see the implications of changing MTU values ect....
  • Steve10393Steve10393 Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    There is a program used at the training center I take my CCNP classes at. I don't know if it's an industry standard term or a name of a program, but pageant was what they called it. It was basically just a huge script that kept transmitting tons of stuff ranging from tcp file transfers and snmp to more commercial things like video game protocols, kazaa, napster, etc... Just had the script running on an edge router I think and it was perfect for using with QoS.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable about things like this could add to this, I just got a glimpse of it and don't really know how all that works. But I am also interested in finding something like this as I haven't started digging in to take my ONT exam and it would come in handy for practicing QoS.
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Youmay be able to use SLA monitors from the router itself to generate some of the packets you're looking for. For stress testing and load testing there are commercially available products, many are hardware systems that cost $$$
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • NetworkGodNetworkGod Member Posts: 236 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not a bad project for a CCNA guy! Let me know how it works out!
    What one man can do another can do.

(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
    (='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
    (")_(")domination.

- CCNA - CCDA - BCMSN - BSCI -
    - 70-270 -
    Thanks for the tips.
  • cambeicambei Member Posts: 62 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You could write your own script to do it. I'm thinking Perl :D

Create a server which hangs off one end of the link you wish to test and then write a client which repeatedly downloads files from it. Or save yourself some coding and maybe just setup an ftp server and use your own client to repeatedly download from that.

Quick script I cooked up (client side only - code probably baddddd):
    #!/usr/bin/perl
    ## Generate traffic via repeatedly downloading files from FTP server

use warnings;
    use strict;

use Net::FTP; 	## include the FTP module

my $ftpServer = "192.168.1.23"; ## Edit the IP address to point to your FTP server
    my $directory = "";		## LEAVE BLANK IF FILES ARE IN ROOT DIRECTORY, OTHERWISE CHANGE AS APPROPRIATE

my $user = "anonymous";
    my $pass = "a\@b.c";		## if an @ is required, preced it with a backslash

my $image = "picture.jpg";			####
    my $video = "video.avi";			####
    my $text  = "text.txt";				####	Replace these with names of the files you wish to download
    my $exec  = "porgram.exe";			####
    my $iso   = "largeiso.iso";			####

my @filenames = ($image, $video, $text, $exec, $iso);	#### DO NOT EDIT THIS LINE
    my $filename;		#### used as index in foreach loop
    my $ftpHandle;		#### FTP object

### Connect to FTP server
    $ftpHandle = Net::FTP->new($ftpServer,Timeout=>240) or die ("could not connect to server");

### login to server
    $ftpHandle->login("$user","$pass") or die ("Username or password rejected");

### change directory
    $ftpHandle->cwd($directory) or die ("Unable to CD to directory- check permissions and spelling");

while (1) {			## Loop forever or until program is killed
    	foreach $filename (@filenames) {
    		$ftpHandle->get("$filename","/dev/null");	##throw the file straight to the bit bucket
    	}
    }

To use this, edit the values of $ftpServer, $directory, $user, $pass, $image, $video, $text, $exec and $iso as appropriate.

I haven't had a chance to test this because I don't have an FTP server on the network at the moment.

IMPORTANT NOTE: the Net::FTP package would need to be installed from CPAN. Easiest way to check if this has been installed is to run the following command from the shell:
    cambei@aslan ~/code $ perl -MNet::FTP -e 1 

If there are no error messages, the module is already installed and you can use the script. Otherwise you will need to install the Net::FTP CPAN module.

I hope this helps.
    Cool..I'll have to bookmark this one...Thanks1 icon_cool.gif
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    How does the CCNP studies networker and netstudent??
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
    Studies are going ok...I actually haven't been studying BCMSN as steady as i would like. School is just too much right now. I can't neglect my degree for cisco. I have a Data COM2 class that is all about routing and switching labs so I get some good time in. Only bad thing is 95% of the people in my class are still trying to figure out how to subnet. It's like good god, where the hell have you been this whole time. While I am trying to do something interesting and beneficial, the rest of the class is like HUH?!?? Makes me look selfish, but it's their fault they aren't on the ball.
  • darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    and for any other reason .... netcat the tcp/ip swiss army knife

nc is your friend
    rm -rf /
  • netdudenetdude Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    darkuser wrote:
    and for any other reason .... netcat the tcp/ip swiss army knife

nc is your friend

How about spanning tree is that your friend also?
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    How about spanning tree is that your friend also?

Don't get this one??? Well I don't know of any good software, we use hardware traffic generators for testing. Sorry not much help there I know...
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This one came recommended on the Firewall Wizards mailing list some time ago:

http://www.nsauditor.com/network_tools/network_traffic_generator.html
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • larkspurlarkspur Member Posts: 235
    cool I'll check those out. I didn't get the spanning-tree question either.
  • Brain-DrainBrain-Drain Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Try J-perf. It's the one I use to simulate traffic in my test environments. A friend of mine who is the head security guy for a city government uses it to stress-test his production equipment in his edge/DMZ.

Did I mention it's free?

http://dast.nlanr.net/projects/jperf/

-bd
    CCVP in progress

QoS - studying
    cVoice -
    TUC -
    CIPT -
    GWGK -

(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
    (='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
    (")_(")domination.